• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner Help

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Just received my 68 RR headliner from Year One (waited 5 weeks for it) and I think there is a problem. There are 7 "seams" and with 6 headliner bows, doesn't make much sense. The rear seam is at the end of the material in the middle of the headliner, and the third from the rear seam does not have a "tunnel" for the bow to slide into. Am I missing something, or is this a faulty manufactured headliner? All seams are equal distance apart as they probably should be, but I cant figure this one out. Anyone a pro on headliners?
:grumpy:

MsBeep

Reaction score
:nachos: Well; since no one else has chimed-in on this topic, I'll give you the benefit of my experience. It'll be 20 years in July since I installed my headliner package (which I ordered from Legendary Auto Interiors), so please forgive me for not wanting to call myself a "pro" on headliners. The older I get, the foggier some details get- lol! Most of my interior trim and seats were removed for restoration or renewal, so I had lots of room to work on it. I assume you don't have the original headliner in place for reference??
If you haven't already done so, call Year One and double check the reman headliner specifications for your 68 RR. Measurements count!
When I did mine, I removed my headliner - which was a god-awful tan colour and stamped FS67 and it had 6 headliner bows. The bows sit in triangular-shaped cups, so if you pull the headliner loose starting either at the front or the back glass first, you can push the bow forward or backward to remove tension. It should lift out easily. Mark rod position and bow placement. Number the bows and keep them in order as they are different. I started from the front and worked my way to the back glass. As I did so, I removed the three pieces of roof insulation and used them as templates to cut replacement insulating material. I have the measurements in my RR diary if you need them.
At the back glass, the sail panels are held on with wire push clips like the door panel retainers. I used OEM P/N 4114785 which are silver instead of the original black in colour, but who's gonna see them?

If you have had a successful outcome and that headliner is in please take some pics and give yourself a pat on the back!

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Called year one and they sent me one from a different vendor. It looks to be correct, but I believe on the 68 there were no sail panels, only insulation behind the headliner? I'll get it installed this weekend for sure, and also finally got the seat covers in (after 6 weeks). Looks like I'll be busy this weekend. Yeah, the bows are different, but found info on line on measuring them since the paint is mostly gone on the ends.

Back