• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Anybody here ever put in a headliner?

I gotta do the one in my Windsor. It looks pretty much the same as the Roadrunner although there is some windlacing I have to deal with. I can buy a kit that's all sewn, but I still have to install it.

I'm pretty handy with the interior stuff. I've redone seats (using pre-sewn covers) and even made some door panels from scratch.... But I've never done a headliner or even seen one done.

Any experiences???

Jim S.

Reaction score

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
It will be first time for me also. I have a new headliner sitting here in the basement. I found a couple of online sources for tips. Restro Rick seems pretty complete. I already bought a handful of those spring clips from Harbor Freight and spray glue.

http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1j8QbkHLZc

ps. Sponge Bob, a basement is a large living space under a house..... :jester:
:lmao: I had one in Wyoming and it filled with ground water we had to put a drain field and pump in, you can have em :yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
Anybody here ever put in a headliner?

I gotta do the one in my Windsor. It looks pretty much the same as the Roadrunner although there is some windlacing I have to deal with. I can buy a kit that's all sewn, but I still have to install it.

I'm pretty handy with the interior stuff. I've redone seats (using pre-sewn covers) and even made some door panels from scratch.... But I've never done a headliner or even seen one done.

Any experiences???
I had an old boy help me and he had a couple of tricks. first if you have a manufactured one or yours is sewn and ready fold it in half and mark the center of all the bow pockets then lay it back out and measure the length of each bow subtract 4 inches off the length and that will give you the place to cut a slit in the bow pocket for the bow to come out on each end. In other words 2 inches off of each side of the bow, this gets rid of puckering and these liners are made big for trimming all long with long pockets. Get your glue and lots of spring clips. On the runner you would start with the rear bow that uses the two retaining wires and set the bows and make your first good pull to the windshield, then the sides and the back. The tutorials Jim posted look pretty good

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
if I can put one in myself with no help from any friend you should have no problem!

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
if I can put one in myself with no help from any friend you should have no problem!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
they're not that bad, but that can change quickly! do it in a cool spot, gets hot quickly in the car. Lay the headliner on a flat surface on a sunny day. this will help with the wrinkles. I've down a couple, turned out pretty good. Luckily mine had all new interior when I got it.

Back