• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat riser...???

bschomske

Reaction score
I just bought a exhaust manifold for my runner..It has the heat riser on it.I got the riser to move very freely.Problem is that there is no spring with the manifold.So should I install without the spring,because good luck finding one.Or should I just remove the flapper and fill in the whole someway or have the flapper welded in the open position...Don't want to hear any noises from flapper...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just bought a exhaust manifold for my runner..It has the heat riser on it.I got the riser to move very freely.Problem is that there is no spring with the manifold.So should I install without the spring,because good luck finding one.Or should I just remove the flapper and fill in the whole someway or have the flapper welded in the open position...Don't want to hear any noises from flapper...

I think Year one has them but most people remove it and plug the holes.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
You have a choice with the heat riser and Bob said about removing it as most do or get the spring as with no spring that thing will raddle and drive you nuts.

I removed mine and filled the two holes with J&B weld and not one problem.

bschomske

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice 69hemibeep and abodybill......Yea I really don't want the rattle.So I guess I will go your way abodybill.I don't trust the thing with a new spring .

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I managed to find a spring 8 or 9 years ago but when I went to attach it I found that the stud it attaches to was rotted away. So I just wired the flap open and have had no issues with it!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Personally I was going for the correct thing on my car so I drilled and bushed the manifold and put new parts in. Ain't cheap either just say hemi and drain the wallet. I just didn't have it in me to put orange over spray on them LOL

roadrunner restoration 683.jpg

bschomske

Reaction score
Yea with your car its the right thing to do seeing that your runner is a high dollar car.Not saying mine isn't worth some money but well I'm not in the same league.I had mine restored to the best I can thats why I did not go with headers..SO I still have to think about this I guess. The car is drop dead good looking so I want it to sound as good as it looks....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
They are a strange design and were noisy when new. That said I don't need a heat riser down here so I wired it open LOL

Ranger

Reaction score
Mine was gone when I bought it. If it wasn't I'd have removed the damned thing. I distinctly remember wiring the first one open soon after purchase in '69.

Back