• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box Confusion

AMX GUY

Reaction score
I'm restoring the heater box for my '70 project and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if I'm missing a part.

I assume B bodies without A/C do not have a water shut off . so I assume you have to hold the hot air in the heater box . so I assume if you shut the defrost door and the heat door this pretty much does the job.

But it's wide open between the heater core and the vent door, meaning if you open your vent for cool air you're going to get hot air off the heater core? am I missing a plate or something between these areas? or is this just how it is?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yes its all done with doors, If memory serves me correct your temp control cable blocks the core and the vent cable opens up the cowl. Its been awhile but Mac will know he restores them

AMX GUY

Reaction score
That's what it looks like, but the door that opens the vent to the cowl is wide open to the heater core. it makes sense that the heater would send the heat out the cowl when you don't want it, but when you open the door on a hot day for outside air you get the heat with it. that's why I'm wondering if something is missing in my box.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
look in the tech section. we have the factory service manuals for '69, I would think the heaters would be the same.

Back