• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from MT

moparchris

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice truck, I always did have a soft spot for those trucks. I bet it runs with that 402!

mtdrydock

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Welcome! Nice truck, I always did have a soft spot for those trucks. I bet it runs with that 402!

Thank you! It does pretty good. Still tweaking the tuning. Hope to have it dyno tuned this summer. Was rated 435hp/457ftlbs before balancing and bumping up the compression up from 9 to 10:1. Id be willing to bet she is over 475lbs now with the Air Gap and more compression.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Cool truck.

Everything loks awesome but that 1407 Eddy carb. Got to be the worst 4 barrel EVER. Sorry. Had to say it. I really hate those carbs. Really hate.

mtdrydock

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Cool truck.

Everything loks awesome but that 1407 Eddy carb. Got to be the worst 4 barrel EVER. Sorry. Had to say it. I really hate those carbs. Really hate.

Actually a 1411, but basically same. Some people love Holly, others swear by Edelbrock. I guess I could have gone to an AVS, but i am familiar with Edelbrock Performer. I have a double pumper but no clue how to tune or rebuild one.

mtdrydock

Reaction score
[youtube:1ha7rk9z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgPaWOUnAbs[/youtube:1ha7rk9z]

mtdrydock

Reaction score
Got the buckets back from the upholsterer today, still waiting on the center section...

228398_1870827523562_1027340907_2129984_6005065_n.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
those seats look great. I'm want'n a Lil Red or Warlock more and more. There's a Lil Red on the 'parts here in Ohio for $4500. But I just don't need another toy vehicle, and I'd hate to run it in the winter.

glhcarl

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
those seats look great. I'm want'n a Lil Red or Warlock more and more. There's a Lil Red on the 'parts here in Ohio for $4500. But I just don't need another toy vehicle, and I'd hate to run it in the winter.
In California "Warlock's" were called "True Sprit's". We almost bought a 4 X4 "True Sprit" but it sat so high my wife (who was slightly pregnant at the time) could not get into the cab!

mtdrydock

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
In California "Warlock's" were called "True Sprit's". We almost bought a 4 X4 "True Sprit" but it sat so high my wife (who was slightly pregnant at the time) could not get into the cab!

From my searching the True Spirit was a different animal than the Warlock. Similar, but not the same. The first Warlocks and True Spirits were rushed into production in late 1976 and both test marketed in California. The True Spirit in S.F. and Warlocks in L.A. I think the True Spirits had a very low production number of under 200. The Warlock was more popular and ended up in full production in 1977. You would have had one very rare dodge truck. Very little is known.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mtdrydock said:
glhcarl said:

From my searching the True Spirit was a different animal than the Warlock. Similar, but not the same. The first Warlocks and True Spirits were rushed into production in late 1976 and both test marketed in California. The True Spirit in S.F. and Warlocks in L.A. I think the True Spirits had a very low production number of under 200. The Warlock was more popular and ended up in full production in 1977. You would have had one very rare dodge truck. Very little is known.

I could have a field day with the "true spirit' and "SF" aspects of this story...but I'll just take a pass knowing that if I wanted it, it was there for the taking... :basketcase:

:jester:

glhcarl

Reaction score
mtdrydock said:
glhcarl said:

I lived in the LA area and we definitely got the "True Spirits". The one the wife and I looked at was at La Habra Dodge in Whitter, California. If I remember correctly they had two, both Black 4 X 4's with step side box (no wood rails). My wife still brings it up periodically when I say I want this car or that car, that I would not buy her the"True Spirit" so I don't get what I want.

mtdrydock

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mtdrydock said:
I could have a field day with the "true spirit' and "SF" aspects of this story...but I'll just take a pass knowing that if I wanted it, it was there for the taking... :basketcase:

Please, go ahead. So little is known. Many references claim the True Spirit was only offered in 2wd and /6 or 318, yet there is at least one gearhead with a 440 who claims it is stock, and glhcarl says he almost bought a 4wd. It is even debated whether any Warlocks were produced with a 440 even though it was an option. Again there is at least one example of a 440 warlock(it is for sale on carsomline.com) My Warlock is a 1976 purchased new right here in MT, not LA, by a friend. I'm sure the True Spirits were offered in more places than SF. 200 would be a lot of units to move in one market and special orders. I don't claim to know everything and never will. I just regurgitated the general consensus about the history of the True Spirit.

mtdrydock

Reaction score
Keeping track of all the special dodge trucks of the late 70's is confusing sometimes.
Warlock
True Spirit
Spirit of 76
Lil Red Express
Midnight Express
Power Wagon
Macho
Palamino
Big Horn
Top Hand
Southbounder
Sno- Commander
etc...

I do know that the Warlock was only available with utiline box, 4 colors(Black, green, red, orange), oak bed racks, and gold graphics, where the True Spirit apparently was could be had in colors not available to the Warlock and with a regular bed.
n67688327785_2215998_8088.jpg

n67688327785_2215927_7737.jpg

mtdrydock

Reaction score
It would also appear that the True Spirit was offered until 1978. The red one in the picture above is either a 77 or 78 by the grill.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mtdrydock said:
ACME A12 said:
mtdrydock said:
I could have a field day with the "true spirit" and "SF" aspects of this story...but I'll just take a pass knowing that if I wanted it, it was there for the taking... :basketcase:

Please, go ahead. So little is known.

I was referring to San Fran being known for its gay friendly attitude. I was making a joke, not offering anything substantive... I know nothing about these particular trucks.... :leave:

mtdrydock

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I was referring to San Fran being known for its gay friendly attitude. I was making a joke, not offering anything substantive... I know nothing about these particular trucks.... :leave:

Oh thop it, thilly. :facepalm:

glhcarl

Reaction score
mtdrydock said:
Please, go ahead. So little is known. Many references claim the True Spirit was only offered in 2wd and /6 or 318, yet there is at least one gearhead with a 440 who claims it is stock, and glhcarl says he almost bought a 4wd. It is even debated whether any Warlocks were produced with a 440 even though it was an option. Again there is at least one example of a 440 warlock(it is for sale on carsomline.com) My Warlock is a 1976 purchased new right here in MT, not LA, by a friend. I'm sure the True Spirits were offered in more places than SF. 200 would be a lot of units to move in one market and special orders. I don't claim to know everything and never will. I just regurgitated the general consensus about the history of the True Spirit.

I don't claim to be an expert on "Warlocks/True Spirits" I only know what I saw and did 35 years ago. However, the following web site seems to say that Chrysler used San Francisco and LA to test market the Warlock/True Spirit and that the Warlock won.

http://www.absolutdriver.blogspot.com/2 ... pirit.html

Back