• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with breather?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, added some Water Wetter then fired her up. Haven't run since Sunday and she fired right up. Kept her running until hot and she stayed at about 190 or so. Of course, the real test will be when she's on the road but. . .

OK, I attach a pic of the breather hole and the breather. What am I doing wrong, it doesn't fit. Is there a grommet or something I need to put in the hole or did I get the wrong breather? Got a MP chrome breather. Also, am I supposed to remove anything from inside the breather or leave it as it? It looks to have a piece of metal with just a small opening I guess allowing air in?

Another thing I noticed. After starting the engine, I went to take the chrome twist off cap out of the hole and there was pressure such that I could hear an air sound when I took it out of the hole, similar to when you remove a gas cap after running a while. Seems like if having that cap on was building up that much vacuum, it may be the reason my valve cover gasket is leaking now?

Any thoughts? As always, thank you kindly.

John

breather_zps8ffb6a12.jpg

breatherhole_zpsfb2cd3c1.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
I still say you have excessive blow by that is pressurizing the crankcase. Is the PCV valve working properly? Here is a picture of the '71. Looks like the same setup.

71rr8.jpg

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:
I still say you have excessive blow by that is pressurizing the crankcase. Is the PCV valve working properly?

Gonna check PCV valve this weekend. I'd be surprised if it's blow-by with new pistons and rings, etc.? I'm a total novice but it's not blowing black smoke or burning oil. How can that be checked??

Jim S.

Reaction score
droptop said:
I still say you have excessive blow by that is pressurizing the crankcase. Is the PCV valve working properly? Here is a picture of the '71. Looks like the same setup.

and, as you mentioned before, this could cause his rear main leak problem....

droptop

Reaction score
If the compression rings didn't seat properly, you can me losing compression. One cylinder could have had the rings line up and cause it also. Do a compression test, and a leak down test. All cylinders should be very close in psi and the amount of time it takes to bleed off.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
droptop said:

and, as you mentioned before, this could cause his rear main leak problem....

Put a white towel underneath engine last night. Ran her tonight, checked the towel and no leaks? Not sure why it stopped, but . . maybe because I ran her with the breather cap off?

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:
If the compression rings didn't seat properly, you can me losing compression. One cylinder could have had the rings line up and cause it also. Do a compression test, and a leak down test. All cylinders should be very close in psi and the amount of time it takes to bleed off.

Thanks man, I'll research how to do that and what tools I need to do it, but will check it out.

Back