• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi combustion chambers on a 383/440?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I have been curious lately about heads for my 383. I'll reuse the 906's but I got to thinking about the hemispherical combustion chambers that made hemis famous. Forgive my ignorance if this indeed did happen, but why didn't Chrysler use this approach on the 383, 440, and other popular engines during the muscle era? Did anyone ever make hemi style heads for a 383 and if this were to be done, what kind of improvements in performance could one expect?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Chrysler didn't use the heads for many reasons.. most of the reasons having to do with expense. The head itself is more expensive to cast, I has larger ports and the valves are angled opposite each causing the valve train to became more complicated and more expensive. The Hemi heads also have more special work done to then and in fact one head boltis moved a bit towards the center of the motor, making a flange with in the valley for 4 head bolts on each siide.

While there were many advantages to the hemi, they were mostly at high flow, high RPM, The wedge chamber were cheaper to build and the wedge design lent it well to street use in both preformance and non-performane applications.

If you wanted to put a hemi in yor car, it can be done buy throwing money at a crate motor... but if you really wanted something different, a new fuel injected hemi would be really cool.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'll have to scan an article from way back that featured an engine known as the "Ball Stud Hemi" that was slated for production in '72. It was a Hemi engine that used stud mounted rocker arms and a single Carter Thermoquad carb. It was slated to be released in 400 cu. in. and 440 cu. in. variants. Dick Landy owned the engine and let the magazine tear it down to show all the insides. It was a very interesting article. The engine even had casting numbers on the intake - which shows just how close to production the engine actually was. It was nixed due to a number of factors including cost and meeting pollution legislation. It sure would have been a cool engine to have in a road runner!

BTW - you could at one time (and may still be able to) convert any BB Mopar engine to use Hemi cylinder heads with a conversion kit from Stage V. You had to do some welding to attach new head bolt bosses and do some other mods as well, but more than a few customers did it. One guy put one in his Chrysler Imperial! I'll see if I can find that article as well.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mc. Ive seen articles on the ball and stud hemi's also. Only a few were made and they look like a cross of a Hemi and a big chevy with the plugs going in near the exaust like a wedge. If memory serves me right only three were produced

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yup, very much like a big block chevy with Hemi heads and BIG ports. If I remember correctly you are correct - only 3 were made and only 1 ran. I heard that it was on display at a major Mopar show some time back and it was being run for the spectators. I'd have loved to have seen it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
John Arruza bought the Ball Stud off of Dandy Dick, and then he bought Tom Hoover's '69(?) Barracuda, and did a bunch of work on the Ball Stud, and got it going.
I've got an old mag around here, has pics of a '70 300 Hurst with the Hemi head conversion on the 440. haven't heard anything about those kits for a while, so they may not be made anymore.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
John Arruza bought the Ball Stud off of Dandy Dick, and then he bought Tom Hoover's '69(?) Barracuda, and did a bunch of work on the Ball Stud, and got it going.

Check out the April '09 issue of MCG. Arruzza has been at it again. This time he finished one of the A148 NASCAR Hemis and put it in a '66 Satellite. VERY INTERESTING READ.

Anyone know if he still has that black/red Daytona? Man, that has to be the most sinister looking MoPar street car that I HAVE EVER SEEN. Looks like it's going 200 MPH sitting still... :worship:

Ray

Blown R/T

Reaction score
I believe Stage 5 made a wedge block/ hemi head conversion. used a standard dual quad hemi intake. not very resonable. ($$$$) but neat, they were known to be tuff to put exhaust on them. wedge mounts were in the way. I have not worked with one. just what I was told.
Kevin

Back