• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Conversion

zupanj

Reaction score
As some of you may recall I bought a hemi last year to put in my Roadrunner and I'm finally getting around to putting it in. I have the 383 out and have started test-fitting the various pieces. I am going to use the bellhousing and flywheel off the 383 (this hemi has a 6 bolt crank flange) with a new clutch. I bought tti headers last year because so many people said how well they fit. So yesterday I put on the bellhousing and new RobMc mini starter on the garage floor, so far so good. When I went to put the left header on I found I had interference at the very back of the starter motor. I need about another 1/2 " of clearance. Man this is frustrating especially since I spent a fortune on those parts because I expected them to fit. So I guess I have to back up and regroup. It's funny I have been reading multiple posts and thinking about how I wanted to do this for a year and I still am hitting some snags. This is part of the fun of all this but it's trying at the same time.

I've also added a three speed wiper motor to make room for the air cleaner but haven't tried to install the switch. I may leave it alone if the two speed switch works.

Finally I bought a 3/8" fuel line with a 1/4" return and a new pickup for the tank. It turns out I measured wrong and already have a 3/8" line so I don't need it. If anyone needs this, I will pay the shipping and if not, I am going to try to return it.

I must say I am learning a lot about the hemi conversion and it is a lot of fun.

Jack

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
shes a tight sweeze....jack,,,,,your going to have to play around with those headers....either bang them with a ball peen hammer or cut the bell to make it work....did you get the 2 1/8 by 3 1/2 ttis or the 2 1/4 by 4"s....there pricey but worth the money......what are you doing with the k-frame....383 or hemi.....motor mounts or motor-plate......i did the same thing with the 3 speed wiper motor and a 2 speed switch.....have fun with that beast.....she will surely look awesome in your engine bay

zupanj

Reaction score
Hi George,

It's been a while. I am using the 2 1/8 tubes with 3 1/2 collectors. They sure look big next to what was on the 383. I went with the Schumacher conversion mounts instead of a new K-member. Most people I've talked to have had good luck with those. I am wanting to keep somewhat of a stock look although the Indy heads are pretty different so I stayed with the stock bellhousing. The issue with the headers is the starter is just a tiny bit too long. A fellow put me on to a different starter motor on ebay that is an inch shorter and I think I am going to try it. All good fun.

Jack

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
I bought a 3/8" fuel line with a 1/4" return and a new pickup for the tank. It turns out I measured wrong and already have a 3/8" line so I don't need it. If anyone needs this, I will pay the shipping and if not, I am going to try to return it.

Jack - sounds like a GREAT project. Take some pictures...

Is the fuel line SS or original material? Asking price?

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Can I have the 383? That would look awesome in my Scamp! :drive:

Might want to halt the big drum conversion and upgrade to disks with the B engine in the A-Body...and yank the 7.25" while you're at it... :lol:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Hi George,

It's been a while. I am using the 2 1/8 tubes with 3 1/2 collectors. They sure look big next to what was on the 383. I went with the Schumacher conversion mounts instead of a new K-member. Most people I've talked to have had good luck with those. I am wanting to keep somewhat of a stock look although the Indy heads are pretty different so I stayed with the stock bellhousing. The issue with the headers is the starter is just a tiny bit too long. A fellow put me on to a different starter motor on ebay that is an inch shorter and I think I am going to try it. All good fun.

Jack

yes it has been a while since we talked...i am glad to see your moving forward with the hemi!!!
i did the schumacher mounts on my first hemi....yes they are sweet....fit like a glove....i have the same header size....wanted to go to 2 1/4....i couldnt see another 900.00 for an 1/8 inch more....are you going with the stock oil pan??....i reworked my k-member for more clearance my 9 qt pan....i used the xp powermaster starter....just sneaks in behind the headers....if i were you i would header wrap or buy a heat sleeve for your starter cables....she gets hot there.....so did you get all straight on this hemi?....dynoed out okay??oil pressure and clearances worked out?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I love this saying. Back in the day my first bird had Hooker comp headers with a bell housing and I changed to a scatter shield without issues. I wish I could remember the tube size but they fit like a glove with a full size starter. These days you can get anything jet coated. Ive also heard the headers you got are the best of todays :cheers:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I love this saying. Back in the day my first bird had Hooker comp headers with a bell housing and I changed to a scatter shield without issues. I wish I could remember the tube size but they fit like a glove with a full size starter. These days you can get anything jet coated. Ive also heard the headers you got are the best of todays :cheers:

they are the best...really quality stuff...jack you have good taste with TTI

zupanj

Reaction score
Interesting comments guys. Chris if you're serious I expect we can work out a deal.

Ray the tubes are OEM and the price is on Inlines web site, I think they were about $69 ea and the sending unit was almost a hundred. The reason I said I'll pay shipping is that is is about $40 so it's a pretty good deal if you are in the market for fuel line.

I helps if you read the directions. I bought the headers a year ago and forgot there were instructions in the box that held the collectors. The only starter motors they list are the small Mopar motors. Wish I had seen that earlier, although a lot of people on Moparts swear by the RobMc starter. George, Mancini lists XS Powermaster starters in their newpaper, is that any relation to the XP?

We got through the issues with the engine. The first cam and lifters toasted after running for only a few minutes on the dyno. They think it was the break-in lube from Comp that didn't have enough zinc in it. There was a lot of that going around a year ago. I had them put a hydraulic roller setup in the engine and it worked fine but I didn't see the dyno run. They got 6's, 600/600 @6000.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Interesting comments guys. Chris if you're serious I expect we can work out a deal.

Ray the tubes are OEM and the price is on Inlines web site, I think they were about $69 ea and the sending unit was almost a hundred. The reason I said I'll pay shipping is that is is about $40 so it's a pretty good deal if you are in the market for fuel line.

I helps if you read the directions. I bought the headers a year ago and forgot there were instructions in the box that held the collectors. The only starter motors they list are the small Mopar motors. Wish I had seen that earlier, although a lot of people on Moparts swear by the RobMc starter. George, Mancini lists XS Powermaster starters in their newpaper, is that any relation to the XP?

We got through the issues with the engine. The first cam and lifters toasted after running for only a few minutes on the dyno. They think it was the break-in lube from Comp that didn't have enough zinc in it. There was a lot of that going around a year ago. I had them put a hydraulic roller setup in the engine and it worked fine but I didn't see the dyno run. They got 6's, 600/600 @6000.
666 :devil: motor

george68hemirr

Reaction score
zupanj said:

sorry jack it was the XS POWERMASTER.....http://www.powermastermotorsports.com
....that hyd roller sounds good....easy to maintain....this flat tappet is great but theres always that adjustment to make sure its right......back to the starter...i have heard about that robmc starter and if they are raving about it ...it must be good...the problem with the powermaster is there is no centering alignment...you have to move the starter in the bolt hole to find center...i first bolted it in...go to start and it didnt engage...i was pissed....not much room there....its good now but sometimes doesnt ingage....on the KB block i had to clearance the block also for the starter so this didnt help matters too

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:

I'm gonna need one down the road, which is why I asked, but I think I want the SS even though they are not original. With all of the humidity down here the OEM ones start to look years old after just a few months... Thanks anyway.

Ray

zupanj

Reaction score
George,

What do you know about the Mopar starters. There are 5 or 6 of them listed by tti but I couldn't find any of them. There is only one starter listed in the MPP catalog and the same part number is listed by Mancini. This starter looks a lot like one listed on ebay for $70 instead of $230 for the Mopar. I spoke to one guy who has the ebay starter and he says it has worked fine for him. I like a bargin but I don't want to fix something a year from now to save a few dollars.

I will try to attach a picture comparing the 383 to the tti headers. Hope it works.

Jack[attachment=0:2t3g9zst]P1010466.JPG[/attachment:2t3g9zst]

george68hemirr

Reaction score
zupanj said:
George,

What do you know about the Mopar starters. There are 5 or 6 of them listed by tti but I couldn't find any of them. There is only one starter listed in the MPP catalog and the same part number is listed by Mancini. This starter looks a lot like one listed on ebay for $70 instead of $230 for the Mopar. I spoke to one guy who has the ebay starter and he says it has worked fine for him. I like a bargin but I don't want to fix something a year from now to save a few dollars.

I will try to attach a picture comparing the 383 to the tti headers. Hope it works.

Jack[attachment=0:2f6j5avb]P1010466.JPG[/attachment:2f6j5avb]

i had a mopar starter...i think they are from a dakoda....its in my junk pile......didnt last too long....if you think its what you want and the price is what you want to pay go for it

moparstuart

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
zupanj said:
George,

Jack[attachment=0:2u1g9ezh]P1010466.JPG[/attachment:2u1g9ezh]

i had a mopar starter...i think they are from a dakoda....its in my junk pile......didnt last too long....if you think its what you want and the price is what you want to pay go for it

go to a junk yard and get any dakota or full size truck starter 318 87-99 ? any of them work like a mini starter . There is a whole thread on moparts if you wanna read it . But anyway any salavge yard should have one for like 25-35 bucks .

zupanj

Reaction score
Well to follow up I had to get a new starter from Mancini. I got a Denso and it's 1 1/2" shorter than the RobMc and it seems to fit fine. I hope it lasts a while because I don't think it will be fun to replace. Ran into a small problem with the header bolts, they are 1" long and I think they need to be 3/4" but that is an easy fix. Got the flywheel and clutch assembly put on. I hope to have it in the car this weekend. We'll see.

Here's a question. Do you use antiseize on header bolts? I think so but do remember.

Here is a pic

Jack

June162009.jpg

Back