• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's what I'm doing instead of Carlisle.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I just thought I'd post some pictures of the train show I'm doing instead of going to Carlisle. I know that Dave will be interested, and I hope the rest of you will find some interest in this. I'll update this as the weekend goes on.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Hobbies are great have a good time, and give us a report :thumbsup:
That they are Bob, but I had to have two of the more expensive ones. And I will!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
That they are Bob, but I had to have two of the more expensive ones. And I will!
Hey I have Mopars and Jeeps :loco:

droptop

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
Hey I have Mopars and Jeeps :loco:

I have Mopars and a wife. :lmao: Steve, it looks like you enjoy what you do. Have a great time.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Today I had a friend install two new windows in my house while I tore apart a dirty, rickety old shelving unit in my basement. Then I went down to a local bike shop that sells all used and vintage stuff and picked up some old pedals for my Elgin. Tomorrow I have a 12+ hour day ahead of me. Saturday I hopefully have a guy coming to remove the lumber from the shelf I tore apart. Maybe take the Runner out too.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Neat, so everybody justs builds something and hopes it will fit??? How do you coordinate things?
There are special specifications that the modules need to be build to. The most common size is 4' long, but vary form 1 and 2 foot fillers, to some scenes that require up to16'. I build my modules at 4' each and use two, along with a 3' corner for my scenes.. There are specific track spacing and electrical rules to follow so that each one can connect together. This means that I could take my module anywhere in the world where they also build to the same rules and we could assemble an operating layout. For each show there is one co-ordinator who knows how much room they have to build a layout in. In our case we have a space of 34' by 84'. In n-scale which is 1/160 full size, 33' equals a mile, or 5' equals 3/8 of an inch. So we have over 7 scale miles which is a pretty good run. We have the potential to run 100 car trains and have it look good. Most of the guys that do these shows are good modelers and have taken a lot of care to make sure that the track, and electrical work is done correctly and we rarely have problems. We got the rest of this layout assembled today and we run tomorrow. More pics to follow then.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
keep the pics coming Steve! I play with my trains in the wintertime.
I'm painting the house,trying to tinker with the new truck, and not work the whole time I'm off.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Wow, that is cool. A lot more to it than I was thinking. :thumbsup:
In some ways building a module could be compared to building an engine. If a piston and rod don't line up with the crank correctly, it won't work right. And like in your case Gary, the timing marks were way off and caused you all kinds of grief. We have 3 main lines tracks that have to be placed at specific points at each end of the module so it matches up with any other module it may be placed against. If they aren't placed correctly, we can't line the track up and trains can't run over this spot with out derailing So yeah, there is a lot to it, but it is fun!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
keep the pics coming Steve! I play with my trains in the wintertime.
I'm painting the house,trying to tinker with the new truck, and not work the whole time I'm off.
I'll get more pics Dave. But try and find some time to run your trains now. Last summer I didn't do much at all with trains. This year I'm doing more with the them in between the car stuff and am enjoying both more. If I was missing Carlisle because of some other reason then what I'm doing this year, well, then the car stuff wouldn't have been as much fun.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I can see where a guy could get caught up in a hobby like that. What is the platform height, that must be important. Im sure the slab is not perfect do you have to do a little shimming under the legs to line track up ? :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Here are a few pics from today. When I get a chance next week I'll try to get the rest in a photobucket link. Bob, a height of 40" to the top of the rail is used. Since the floor surfaces of the different buildings vary in how level they are, all the modules have a build in adjustment in the bottom of the legs. A bolt approx, 2" long and a t-nut is used for this adjustment. So yes, end to end, and front to back hight, and level, is important to ensure that the trains will run well. Gary, I'll see what I can do about a video as I don't have a camcorder, if need be I'll find a good link from youtube.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Here you go Gary. While this video isn't of this show, it is one of a module that is here, and is owned by a fellow club member. It is based on an actual Great Nothern terminal that once exsisted. In the other videos look for the Northeast N-trak, or Winterfest n-trak, and you will get a very good idea of what we are doing this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygb4_ah ... re=related

Back