• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Confederate!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
after several very frustrating back and forth emails with Photobucket, I was finally able to retrieve my sign on info. Still haven't had any luck downloading the scanner. anyway...the next time you feel discouraged, or overwhelmed with your car...here's what I went thru with my last one.
1st, getting ready to tow it home. I had a pretty clean '69,R4 ,painted black roof,auto column,3.91SG,air grabber car a few years earlier that I had to sell to help pay for a four month premature baby. It had a tired 440 in place of the 383.

a buddy had this body, and I traded him a 383/727 for it. About the only good thing about if was the new 1/4 skins, and it was originally a 4 speed T7 car.The front clip was junk, as were the doors and trunk lid. Someone was on the way to hacking it up for a race car.What was left of the interior was shredded. They had cut out the trunk floor, and spot welded a rusty piece of sheet metal. Missing was the windshield,back bumper,gas tank,engine,trans,and any and all related parts. If it was there, it was junk.

#2 After 5 years of ebay, Mopar Nats, a lot of horse trading, and the 440 and 4 speed from the '68 Charger I had sold, I got it on the road. I found a set of rust free western fenders ($100 each and beautiful front bumper $50) in MCG. I scored a sweet deal on the Cragars and tires from a guy on Moparts,$275!)

The first year I got to take it to The Nats I had the time of my life just driving it there.

#3 3am about three years ago

I'm not the only one that had a ton of work to do, so just keep at it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
after several very frustrating back and forth emails with Photobucket, I was finally able to retrieve my sign on info. Still haven't had any luck downloading the scanner. anyway...the next time you feel discouraged, or overwhelmed with your car...here's what I went thru with my last one.
1st, getting ready to tow it home. I had a pretty clean '69,R4 ,painted black roof,auto column,3.91SG,air grabber car a few years earlier that I had to sell to help pay for a four month premature baby. It had a tired 440 in place of the 383.

a buddy had this body, and I traded him a 383/727 for it. About the only good thing about if was the new 1/4 skins, and it was originally a 4 speed T7 car.The front clip was junk, as were the doors and trunk lid. Someone was on the way to hacking it up for a race car.What was left of the interior was shredded. They had cut out the trunk floor, and spot welded a rusty piece of sheet metal. Missing was the windshield,back bumper,gas tank,engine,trans,and any and all related parts. If it was there, it was junk.

#2 After 5 years of ebay, Mopar Nats, a lot of horse trading, and the 440 and 4 speed from the '68 Charger I had sold, I got it on the road. I found a set of rust free western fenders ($100 each and beautiful front bumper $50) in MCG. I scored a sweet deal on the Cragars and tires from a guy on Moparts,$275!)

The first year I got to take it to The Nats I had the time of my life just driving it there.

#3 3am about three years ago

I'm not the only one that had a ton of work to do, so just keep at it.
Dave, I remember that pic from the .org site, but I forgot that it was your car! You had come a long way before that fateful night.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn. What a friggin' nightmare that must have been...

What caused that damned fire anyway?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
still don't know. the FD didn't see any obvious signs of arson, so they didn't feel the need to look into it. I was out in the garage the evening before tinkering, and all was well at 7pm when I headed for the house.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I appreciate the encouragement, man. So much to do, it's hard for me to know where to start this spring.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well, give yourself a relistic timeline. unless you come up with a drop in, runable drive line, you more than likely won't have the car on the road. so, make yourself a list of what the car neds to be safely drivable. The master, and wheel cylinders, brake lines would be a good start.
Front end rebuild next.
how's the wireing? check it over, retape where needed if all looks good.Are you staying with points, or going electronic? Get your new altornater and regulater.
IIRC, you were pulling the dash? Best time to change the master cylinder. It's a PIA with the dash in. And don't forget new wiper seals where the pivots go through the cowl.
Have this done, and you can steer, stop, and the electrical should be all ready.

You aleady know this won't happen overnight. Just plug away, and you'll see progress.
What are your plans for the body? One thing that always helped me see progress, was to pick up some primer, sand the body, and shoot it. Even with the rust, it always made the car look like it was going some where. And by the time I got my burned car ready, it was 4 or 5 colors, so the primer helped.

Back