• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hide your VINs

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Please fill me in, why people hide the vin# at car shows and and I see some pull fender tags. I don't see them cover the lisence plate am I missing something :huh:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I have no idea about hiding VINs. New York State has the VIN right on the registration sticker on the windshield anyway.. so it makes no difference.

The fender tags are another story... There's been a rash of thefts of tags at shows.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
That's pathetic... "I can turn my Satellite into an A12 and sell it for 10x the price if I pry off that guy's fendor tag!" People need to get a life. I personally enjoy the different models and options that were available. If I had a simple Belvedere or Satellite, I'd be happy to add it to my collection as one of the few left even if it isn't a super cool AAR or something. They're ALL getting rare year by year, even the "low price" models of that era. Some folks just want to be jack#%&es I guess... :loco:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Please fill me in, why people hide the vin# at car shows and and I see some pull fender tags. I don't see them cover the lisence plate am I missing something :huh:

Two reasons come to mind on the VINs: 1) They're concerned about vehicle identity theft which I seem to recall was brought up in a post here not too long ago...and 2) the car is a clone, or tribute, or whatever you want to call it and the owner doesn't want to elicit and or have to listen to any comments related to how the car was equipped at the factory vs. its current drivetrain and or options. Some people can just be brutal about a tribute vehicle. Personally, I think that they have their place - for instance in my opinion it's much better to thrash and potentially inflict damage to poked & stroked A12 Tribute in the F.A.S.T. Series than to a genuine one that still has its original block residing under the hood. Same for anything with a Hemi or V-Code, or anything rare...you catch my drift. JMHO.

Big nailed it on the Fender Tags...

Ray

rm23j9a

Reaction score
A friend of mine with a running and driving (but really ratty) Hemi Charger just didn't want people to know it was a real Hemi car. So he covered the VIN and never opened the hood. Both front fenders had been replaced due to previous damage, and both quarters were damaged as well. It had no badging on it, and the interior looked a lot like the Joe Dirt car.....except this was before Joe Dirt.

Back