Hood Insulation?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
What cars came with hood insulation if any? Wouldnt imagine there being much surface area with an Air Grabber, obviously none on the A12s, but would think there would have been some on a "plain" hood? Then i guess my next question is there any benifiet, I would rather get head out of the engine compartment but would think that would keep it in. My hood does bounce a lot in the center, and was thinking it might dampen some of that.....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It was used on nonfunctional and flat hoods to keep the paint from blistering. :cheers:

moparchris

Reaction score
I think its a flat piece. I have had some originals on my cars in the past and they look pretty much just like the repops. Here is an example for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-HOOD ... 1982wt_941

Also the seam sealer between the hood and the inner structure is what keeps the hood skin from flapping in the breeze. Over time it looses it elasticity and looses its bond to the hood skin. I have scraped the old out with a screw driver and replaced it wit new seam sealer with good results.

moparchris

Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Is the seal you are talking about this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-69-70 ... 3ca2ec7ce8

I was looking at the insulation on ebay but wasnt sure how "correct" they are, not that im going crazy for accuracy, but also didnt see spending the money of a molded one if that wasnt what was used....

No thats not what I was talking about, I was addresing your hood "bounce". I see that there is another thread here on that subject.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Cant seem to find that thread. What seal is it that will reduce/eliminate hood bounce?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I must be missing something. The bond between my hood and its inner structure seems to be ok. My hood (Non-air grabber) doesnt have much support in the center so at speed it tends to "bounce". Its not that its seperating from the structure but rather is unsupported. I thougth you were saying there was some sort of sear which prevents air from getting in the engine compartment to reduce that "bouncing"

moparchris

Reaction score
Oh no, I assumed the seam sealer glueing the hood skin to the inner structure was what you were talking about. The hoods I have redone are pretty solid with little to no bounce.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the only things that bounce on this site are Mac's avaitar.........

Back