• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Latch Adjustment

RR383

Reaction score
After studying the 1970 Mopar service manual...I fail to see how to obtain a tighter hood closure. From the latch mechanism down through the lower support I simply don't see any additional adjustment downward. Seeing this for the first time I was kind of hoping there would have been slotted factory holes.
When I push down on the front there is downward play but how to get this out is the question.

RR383

Reaction score
Come on enough with the silence! You mean to tell me not one of you guys ever crossed this issue?

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Nope. Take some good pictures of the fit the hardware latches and such and where they are mounted.

2Birds

Reaction score
I currently have the front end off my Yellow car. I see vertical slots in the bottom mounting holes of the brace that bolts to the lower radiator support. I also see that the mounting holes of the latch have slots. If these are all "bottomed out" as far as lowering adjustment goes, elongating the slots in the bottom of the vertical support would be hard to spot when assembled. Just a thought. Much of this area is blacked out from the factory and not done with much finesse, touch up would be a snap.
Looking at the parts with assembly marks from the hardware mine were all bottomed out years ago.

RR383

Reaction score
I currently have the front end off my Yellow car. I see vertical slots in the bottom mounting holes of the brace that bolts to the lower radiator support. I also see that the mounting holes of the latch have slots. If these are all "bottomed out" as far as lowering adjustment goes, elongating the slots in the bottom of the vertical support would be hard to spot when assembled. Just a thought. Much of this area is blacked out from the factory and not done with much finesse, touch up would be a snap.
Looking at the parts with assembly marks from the hardware mine were all bottomed out years ago.

What assembly marks are you referring to? You have (2) Superbird cars?

A die grinder and the right burr bit maybe in order. Closer inspection shows my lower support slotted holes are bottomed out.

Last edited:

2Birds

Reaction score
Not superbirds , I wish , 70 Roadrunners. Both cars 383 auto nothing special other than they are from mother Mopar. The bolts holding the support imprinted there position on the disassembled parts they too were bottomed out. Hope this was helpful, good luck.

RR383

Reaction score
Shifting gears a little. Since you own (2) of the '70 RR's I would appreciate any pics you might have of your throttle/kick down linkage. Where it attaches to the carb. I've had my '70 RR for a short time now and I'm trying to get it dialed in so to speak. There are allot of 68 and 69 owners on this particular site...fewer 70 owners. Thanks

Last edited:

2Birds

Reaction score
Both cars have holley carbs, I understand some may have carters I would assume there would be some differences, I will take a few pics and see if I can post them in the next day or two. The orange one is disassembled but all components are on a tray, the yellow one is complete and functions well.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
page 23-29 of the 1970 service manual shows slots on the hood latch (lock) fig. 8, for adjustment.

RR383

Reaction score
Both cars have holley carbs, I understand some may have carters I would assume there would be some differences, I will take a few pics and see if I can post them in the next day or two. The orange one is disassembled but all components are on a tray, the yellow one is complete and functions well.

I'm wanting to view the attachment points. I'm running Edelbrock and just purchased the Mopar adapter that bolts to the side of primary throttle linkage. Did you happen to use this additional piece?

RR383

Reaction score
page 23-29 of the 1970 service manual shows slots on the hood latch (lock) fig. 8, for adjustment.

Yes I see the slots...looks like I will need to massage those slots a little further...thanks

Back