• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood selection

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys,

I love those fiberglass 440 6 Pack hoods, but I have a 383. My car originally had the stock 383 hood which I believe was the "air grabber" hood?

Is it out of the ordinary to get the 440 6 pack hood if you don't have a 440 and put 383 call outs on it? Maybe a dumb question, but really love that hood scoop.

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
6 pk hoods are awesome.....build the car the way you would love to have it if your not into factory correct.....i am one of those guys....6 pk hood/69 grille and bezels/white interior/pro-street on a 68 383 runner

mcmopar

Reaction score
Do whatever turns you on. The 440-6BBL hood looks great on the car with or without the 440-6BBL engine.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What they said. :cheers:

You have options too; they are available in both pin-on and bolt-on versions. Go for it!

:jester:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Nice. So glad to hear that. I want that 440 fiberglass hood. Once again, thanks guys.

J

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
6 pk hoods are awesome.....build the car the way you would love to have it if your not into factory correct.....i am one of those guys....6 pk hood/69 grille and bezels/white interior/pro-street on a 68 383 runner

'68 1/2 Uncle George.....
and there ls a guy ln Florlda wlth a stash of Slx Barrel Hoods just gatherlng dust......... :acme: :jester:

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, build it how you want it. I have a '68RR, so no 6bbl hood is suppossed to be on mine. I really like the look, so I bought one. Mine is from AAR. I bought the bolt on version, but Im using it as a pin on version with all 4 hood pins.

There's nothing like looking into that big scoop and seeing the huge air cleaner underneath!

:cheers:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
george68hemirr said:

and there ls a guy ln Florlda wlth a stash of Slx Barrel Hoods just gatherlng dust......... :acme: :jester:

Hmmmmmmm....Is that right??? LOL.

Are they much lighter than the stock hoods?

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:

You have options too; they are available in both pin-on and bolt-on versions. Go for it!

Thanks. What is the better option? Pins or bolts? I kinda dig that one where you can prop it up onto the four poles and look at engine. Not sure what they are called, but is mighty cool.

John

mcmopar

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Basketcase said:
george68hemirr said:

Hmmmmmmm....Is that right??? LOL.

Are they much lighter than the stock hoods?

John

Well, considering you can take the hood off and put in on top of the car (like they used to do in the good old days) I'd say, yeah, it's a lot lighter! :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
ACME A12 said:

Thanks. What is the better option? Pins or bolts? I kinda dig that one where you can prop it up onto the four poles and look at engine. Not sure what they are called, but is mighty cool.

John
The pin on hoods are what you're referencing. This is what I use. I wanted the 6bbl hood look, and along with that comes the "pin on" part. Using hinges is easier, especially when doing routine maintainence stuff, or if there's a problem. It does take a few more steps to remove the 6bbl hood, but for me, it's worth it. Plus, you have full access to the engine compartment with the hood off.

440Kilmartin

Reaction score
Ive seen plenty of guys at carshows running six pack lift off's w/o decals.. with a 383 under the hood. six pack hoods are bad ass ..

Back