• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Stripe - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Ranger

Reaction score
Hey guys. Newb here. As some may know if you saw my intro, I am the new proud owner of my second '69 RR. She's a survivor car and needs a little TLC (but not much) that I am getting done over the winter down time. One thought for spring is hood stripes (no clue on cost and that could be the deciding factor). What say you guys, yea or nay?

droptop

Reaction score
Survivor cars should not be altered, but hood stripes are cool, and an icon for '69 Road Runners. If you do decide to put them on, do it right in the correct textured finish.:cents:

hoodstripes.jpg

hoodstripes.jpg

Ranger

Reaction score
It did not come with the performance hood treatment.
Because it is so clean, original and a numbers car with documentation is one reason I am a little hesitant (and asking for opinions).
Keep the opinions coming.

Droptop, I do have the dimensions and the proper paint code. IF done, it will be done right.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
What a bunch of purists, don't put stripes on your survivor. OOPS I didn't put them on my restoration either :lmao::lmao::lmao:

A12

Reaction score
your car, do it the way you want it.

I agree.......................besides the question of hood stripes or not what else are you doing to the car? If you are doing things like a complete paint, etc., then when or at what point of restoring it does it lose its "survivor" status?

Personally I always liked the hood stripes not only for the look but for the function to keep the glare from the hood down for safety (re: NHTSA and the reason the '68 and later dashes when to low gloss paint mandatory). And when you're trying to see the lights on the Chrondek ..............well that is if you take your numbers, 4-speed car to the strip and drive it like you should be driven...like someone...:whistle:

IMG_9827rs2.jpg

IMG_9827rs2.jpg

Last edited:

A12

Reaction score
You can always remove them if you want to later. IMO they are performance signatures as the option is labeled and make the cars standout. When I ordered my first road runner in the spring of 1969 the hood stripes were on the top of the list, here's my road runner in 1969.....without the hood stripes it wouldn't look as cool (IMO)....okay I beat this horse too much :beep:

MY 69 RR w JO ANN3.jpg

MY 69 RR w JO ANN3.jpg

Last edited:

TOMRR

Reaction score
Quote: your car, do it the way you want it. I agree !!!!

Ranger

Reaction score
besides the question of hood stripes or not what else are you doing to the car? If you are doing things like a complete paint, etc., then when or at what point of restoring it does it lose its "survivor" status?
Well, that is another thing I was wondering about. The car was repainted after a front end collision so the front quarters, bumper, crossbrace and radiator are new (not sure about the hood). Also just figured out today that they painted it about 1 shade lighter than the B5 blue. Other than that, no rust underneath and interior is OEM. The engine has been slightly moded (cam, manifold & carb). Not sure what any of this does to the "value". Of coarse I had to add the SunPro Super tack replica and under dash gauges (Autogauge).

okay I beat this horse too much
Not at all. I asked for opinions and appreciate all of them.

A12

Reaction score
Well, that is another thing I was wondering about. The car was repainted after a front end collision so the front quarters, bumper, crossbrace and radiator are new (not sure about the hood). Also just figured out today that they painted it about 1 shade lighter than the B5 blue. Other than that, no rust underneath and interior is OEM. The engine has been slightly moded (cam, manifold & carb). Not sure what any of this does to the "value". Of coarse I had to add the SunPro Super tack replica and under dash gauges (Autogauge).

Not at all. I asked for opinions and appreciate all of them.

Thanks.......(still your car and decision but) my vote is for hood stripes..........my hood striped GTX

IMG_0228rs1a.jpg

IMG_0228rs1a.jpg

Last edited:

tallhair

Reaction score
I don't think hood stripes will affect the value at all if done as original and in original finish. Do it if you like them

chapdog105

Reaction score
That's a tough call. I say if you're restoring it, go for it. If leaving it a survivor, leave them off.
My car didn't have them originally, but I took a few (not many) liberties in my restoration. I think they're badass so I went with them. No regrets yet...
I prefer a flat paint over organisol, as it's easy to maintain.

20140831_123154.jpg

Attachments

• 20140831_123154.jpg
    20140831_123154.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0

Ranger

Reaction score
It is in very good condition so no "restoration" planned. There's just not much to restore.

I prefer a flat paint over organisol, as it's easy to maintain.
Interesting. Tell me more.

chapdog105

Reaction score
It is in very good condition so no "restoration" planned. There's just not much to restore.

Interesting. Tell me more.

The organisol is difficult to keep clean. You don't want to wax it, or even dry it for that matter. The cloth will leave remnants on rough texture.

Ranger

Reaction score
Anyone aware of the stripes in a decal form? I'm guessing if available, it would be very difficult to get smooth around the hood louvers. Just thinking out loud.

Back