• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Rod Magazine sucks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just got my new issue with a 69 runner on the cover and no story inside. They even go so far as to say that its lame to put a car on the cover and nothing inside but they did it :toetap:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They've been lame for quite some time IMHO. Ultra-High-Dollar G-Machines that the common man just cannot relate to are all that primarily grace their pages anymore - and when the hate mail started rolling in they just assumed a F** YOU stance rather than acknowledging that they were no longer focused on what the majority of people want to see... Show me ANYTHING WITH 20"+ RIMS AND OR FOOSE'S NAME ON IT AND YOU'VE LOST MY ATTENTION. It got REALLY BAD after David Freiburger left... He's supposed to be back in some capacity...but I'm not holding my breathe for them to get their sh*t together...

I still have a subscription (that I will likely let run out...) but trust me, that's the last magazine that I'm looking for when I'm packing my reading stash for a dash to the airport. MCG and Mopar Muscle take care of my MoPar needs and Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding keep me up on performance mods. However, Hot Rod is good for those long flights when I just want to get some sleep... :D

This crap that they're putting out now makes me miss the "Street Van", "AMC Pacer", and "Datsun B210" projects featured in those issues of the mid-seventies... :lmao:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
They've been lame for quite some time IMHO. Ultra-High-Dollar G-Machines that the common man just cannot relate to are all that primarily grace their pages anymore - and when the hate mail started rolling in they just assumed a F** YOU stance rather than acknowledging that they were no longer focused on what the majority of people want to see... Show me ANYTHING WITH 20"+ RIMS AND OR FOOSE'S NAME ON IT AND YOU'VE LOST MY ATTENTION. It got REALLY BAD after David Freiburger left... He's supposed to be back in some capacity...but I'm not holding my breathe for them to get their sh*t together...

I still have a subscription (that I will likely let run out...) but trust me, that's the last magazine that I'm looking for when I'm packing my reading stash for a dash to the airport. MCG and Mopar Muscle take care of my MoPar needs and Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding keep me up on performance mods. However, Hot Rod is good for those long flights when I just want to get some sleep... :D

This crap that they're putting out now makes me miss the "Street Van", "AMC Pacer", and "Datsun B210" projects featured in those issues of the mid-seventies... :lmao:

Its kind of funny, every year I tell myself this is enough of Hot Rod and then they get me with the old buck an issue :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Its kind of funny, every year I tell myself this is enough of Hot Rod and then they get me with the old buck an issue :lol:

Me too. I'm just as lame as they are...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at, let lone bought an issue.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I don't recall ever buying one myself, but being in the recycling business I had the change to find an issue or two thrown in with the newpapers. It seemed that more often then not it was mostly Chivve stuff in that mag, and I've heard other guys complain about that. I can't even remember the last time I saw that magazine.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
It seemed that more often then not it was mostly Chivve stuff in that mag, and I've heard other guys complain about that.

You're always gonna have that in the non-make-specific car rags; they're more popular with the masses so they get more coverage. It just is what it is...

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to get Car Craft on special for like $8? a year something dirt cheap and same thing as Hot Rod I used to read on lunches at work before the 'net but pretty generic stuff and I stopped after I found I reached a point of out doing Ford and Chevy people on trivial subjects related to thier make of autos. For example I can tell 55,56 &57 chevies apart and you'd be suprised how many "hardcore" Chevy guys can't.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
I used to get Car Craft on special for like $8? a year something dirt cheap and same thing as Hot Rod I used to read on lunches at work before the 'net but pretty generic stuff and I stopped after I found I reached a point of out doing Ford and Chevy people on trivial subjects related to thier make of autos. For example I can tell 55,56 &57 chevies apart and you'd be suprised how many "hardcore" Chevy guys can't.

When you can tell if a 57 Chevy was built in their west coast plant by the front bumpers, you realize you've read too much about them....

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
3BIRDS1X said:

When you can tell if a 57 Chevy was built in their west coast plant by the front bumpers, you realize you've read too much about them....

One piece versus three piece? I have no idea what you are talking about... :lol:

Hoosier, what about it? Where the hell has he been anyway...???

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":3um0wuwb]
3BIRDS1X said:

One piece versus three piece? I have no idea what you are talking about... :lol:

:jester:[/quote:3um0wuwb]
I bet he went hunting and didnt say anything again :popcorn:

jays69bird

Reaction score
Didn't Car Craft give away a Duster they built back in the 80s ,or was that something i dreamed up after eating a bad bowl of Chilli ? :huh:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Didn't Car Craft give away a Duster they built back in the 80s ,or was that something i dreamed up after eating a bad bowl of Chilli ? :huh:

Hmmm. Don't remember that...and I'm a hardcore Duster Guy...but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen... Do you recall any other details?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
jays69bird said:

Hmmm. Don't remember that...and I'm a hardcore Duster Guy...but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen... Do you recall any other details?

What kind of Chilli was it? :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":3uj3espm]
3BIRDS1X said:

:jester:[/quote:3uj3espm]
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew you guys would miss me. Looks like others of you have been stirring the pot though so it was just like I was here.............. :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":27bl45a6]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew you guys would miss me. Looks like others of you have been stirring the pot though so it was just like I was here.............. :lol:[/quote:27bl45a6]

Bob & I have been trying to maintain the peace and keep it orderly around here, but you know how everyone else is... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":1i3t4kf4][quote="ACME A12":1i3t4kf4]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew you guys would miss me. Looks like others of you have been stirring the pot though so it was just like I was here.............. :lol:[/quote:1i3t4kf4]

Bob & I have been trying to maintain the peace and keep it orderly around here, but you know how everyone else is... :lol:

:jester:[/quote:1i3t4kf4]Yeah, right! :jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
jays69bird said:

I don't remember a Duster, but I do remember when they painted up a then new VW Rabbit with the outline of the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and gave that away in a contest. That car ended up in the Syracuse area and the paint just kinda fell off it and it was rusting away.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:

Yes, I know how those other guys are........... :lol:

Back