• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Rod Power Tour

droptop

Reaction score
Well, day 2 left us on the side of the road for 2 hours. Iowa is a 15% Ethonal (spelled shitty gas) state. 5 miles after a fill up, we were dead in the water. Clogged fuel filter and the strainer in the tank was clogged. Thanks to a great guy in rural (meaning the middle of no where) Iowa, I was picked up at the car, taken to an auto parts store to get filters, and to his house to get an air compressor to blow out the lines with. We were back on the road in 15 mins after getting back to the car. Hope all the bad things are behind us. In Springfield Ill. today and going to Duquoin Ill on Monday. That is only about an hour and 15 mins from home, so we will be at home for Monday night.

We have met a couple of Road Runner owners, and one member. Pictures and stories after we get home next week.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ah yes, love road trips! which car did you take?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Harold. Things like that have to make you wonder how the rest of trip will go. But to get help that quick sure has to make you feel good about things. Hope the rest of the trip goes better!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
A couple of my buddies are doing the Power Tour. I'll get a bunch of stories on their return...........

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Keep the stories coming. We have 10-15% ethanol here with no issues, you probably hit a bad station :popcorn:

droptop

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Keep the stories coming. We have 10-15% ethanol here with no issues, you probably hit a bad station :popcorn:

89 with 15% ethanol is not gas IMHO. The Chrysler didn't like it at all. :lol: Hope the bad stuff is behind us.

On the road again to Duquion. We get to sleep in our own bed tonight. :banana:

droptop

Reaction score
Had a great day. No issues at all, other than Mrs droptop giving me grief about the Prowler. :crazy:

Met some nice folks in a R6 droptop. They are going to only do part of the power tour and end up at Stuie's wing reunion in Mo. That is one of the nicest older restorations that I have ever seen. (pics early next week) They said they have put close to 200,000 miles on her after the restoration. First time I have seen cruise control on an N96 car....

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
that is so cool that you took off the time to do this trip.....how many guys have gearvendors overdrives in there hot rods?

John69RR

Reaction score
Sounds cool. A friend did the PT a few years ago when it went through Colorado and Kansas. He said he enjoyed it. Waiting to hear your story and pics.

Mel69rrvert

Reaction score
droptop said:
Had a great day. No issues at all, other than Mrs droptop giving me grief about the Prowler. :crazy:

Met some nice folks in a R6 droptop. They are going to only do part of the power tour and end up at Stuie's wing reunion in Mo. That is one of the nicest older restorations that I have ever seen. (pics early next week) They said they have put close to 200,000 miles on her after the restoration. First time I have seen cruise control on an N96 car....
Would love to see pics of this one!

droptop

Reaction score
Had a great day in Bowling Green Ky. Hot as hell so we stayed at the car most of the day, but did get some pictures of cars close to us. A Q5 '69 and a Yellow '68 post car. No problems today other that a squilling ps belt. Tightened it up a little a while ago, so that should be good now. Looking forward to tommorrow. Driving throught the hills of KY and Ten. Should be a lot of good secenery.

We did make the offical Hot Rod page in Duquoin. (links below)

http://www.hotrod.com/powertour/2010/hr ... to_86.html

http://www.hotrod.com/powertour/2010/hr ... to_87.html

droptop

Reaction score
Made it home last night around 10pm. Had a great time, met lots of good folks, and a lot of VERY NICE CARS! I will post some pics as soon as I get caught up.

in-line fuel filter..............2.19
1 qt. oil.........................3.29
198.49 gals. of gas..........548.27
week long road trip..........PRICELESS

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
droptop said:
Made it home last night around 10pm. Had a great time, met lots of good folks, and a lot of VERY NICE CARS! I will post some pics as soon as I get caught up.

in-line fuel filter..............2.19
1 qt. oil.........................3.29
198.49 gals. of gas..........548.27
week long road trip..........PRICELESS

That's too cool... :thumbsup:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
So what was your overall gas mileage? :drive: not that is really matters.

I would love to participate in a cruise like that. These are the times I regret going with 3.91's as opposed to the original 3.23's.......oh, and not being able to afford George's OD unit. :jester:

moparstuart

Reaction score
droptop said:

droptop

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
So what was your overall gas mileage?

Right at 14 mpg average. All interstate one way, and all 2 lane roads the other way. And of course with the a/c on. :cheers:

John69RR

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it back safely. Looking forward to the pics. Road Trips. Nothing compares.

Back