• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I figure...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
out the size of an over bored engine. I'm rebuilding the original 273 for my '64 Barracuda. A friend is helping me with the rebuild and as we tore it down he thought it had already been rebuilt. There were no signs of sludge, very clean and had no ridges at the top of the cylinder bores. In fact we were able to push the pistons out with just our hands. No persuasion needed. The only thing he found were some light score marks on 3 rod bearings. So the engine goes to the shop to be boiled out and any machining it needs. Well it turns out the engine had been rebuilt. It had been bored out to .040 over! The crank cleaned up just fine the block got, new freeze plugs installed and cylinders honed. We are going for rebuilt heads as it's about $200 cheaper then having the originals rebuilt! Hopefully it will go back together in a few weeks. So my question is how can I figure what the new displacement is? I'm just curious what it will be. Thanks guys.

V269

Reaction score
bore x bore x stroke x .7854 x 8 cylinder's. :yesnod:
or bore x bore divided by 4 x 3.14 ( pi ) x stroke x 8. To find an overbored size just add the over bore to the bore size and calculate.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
V269 said:
or bore x bore divided by 4 x 3.14 ( pi ) x stroke x 8. To find an overbored size just add the over bore to the bore size and calculate.

:crazy:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
V269 said:

:crazy:
That's what I said! While I appreciate Ken sending that I found that calculator much easier 'cause I was never good with math!! :D

Back