• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many miles have you put on your roadrunners?

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Well, I'm bored outta my mind and dreamin about summer and I got to thinking. How many miles could I put on my roadrunner this summer. My goal is 1500 miles, doubt it will happen but hey ya never know, I might make the trip to Carlisle this year with it, normally I've went with the pace truck. I remeber one year i was driving a 63 imperial to carlisle got about half way when the rear axle snapped lol that was a fun tow ride home. But anyway, I'm wondering how many miles have you guys racked up with your roadrunners threw the years? Last year was the first year I've owned a roadrunner and I have a grand total of 352 miles.

droptop

Reaction score
I have driven both the 75 and 80 to Carlisle in the past. About a 1500 mile round trip. No way would I drive the 71 that far. Couldn't afford the gas even at today's prices. I have long hauled on the Hot Rod Power Tour multiple times. It always sucks to be sitting on the side of the road. I'm a "trailer it to the show" guy from now on. I like to point the truck in the right direction, set the cruise, adjust the a/c, select a good station on the satellite radio, and go. The bad part of that is the truck can leave you on the side of the road sometime too, isn't that right George?

A12

Reaction score
You're going to have to qualify the question a little more, there are some members that bought road runners new or used back in the day and were daily drivers to work, grocery shopping, vacations, school, dates, drag strip, etc., I think my new in '69 ended up with over 70,000 miles on it when I sold it in the late '70's after it sat for years while I raced motorcycles for a living :stung: Just having fun and know your question and lately I get or put about 500 - 1500 miles a year on the rr or the GTX but as I wrote in another thread I put 2,200+ miles on the '68 road runner driving it back to Ohio from El Paso, TX and then another thousand miles or so until I put it away for the winter that same year. Rethinking this most of the cruises I go to are at least 50 to 60 miles roundtrip and then some extra cruising along Lake Erie shore line or down to Ohio farm land and that is two to three times a weekend from late April to late September so hmmmmmmmmm I wonder now how many miles that really is, let's see 6-months, 24-weekends, conservative 50 miles, times 3 = 3600 miles.....naw that can't be right. I'll stick with a 1,000+ miles a year.

Ranger

Reaction score
Just bought mine about a month ago, so aside from the 355 mile trip home it is TBD. Planning on 2 legs of the Hot Rod Power Tour so that'll about 600 miles.

Last edited:

69B5

Reaction score
As many as I have to lol
I drive both my cars as often as I can and as far as I have to go.
I have never kept track of the miles
Like Droptop, I have driven them to Carlisle
I have entered car shows that are up to 4-5 hours from my home
I never look at the odometer
Watching the gas gage is another thing LOL

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I drove my car to Carlisle one year, about 650 miles round trip. That year was one of the hottest with temps in the upper 90s to near 100. In fact it was 102 one day at the show. The car ran great in that hot weather. Me and my friend survived the trip but it wasn't easy so now I tow my cars down so I have the a/c comfort. There is one place I go to for shows that is around 200 miles and I'm not afraid to take any of my cars that. But before I went that far with them I dove them often locally, increasing distances as I got to know the cars reliability. Maybe I've just been lucky but so far I've never been stranded anywhere with problems. So I'd suggest that you drive it as much as possible see and how it goes locally. Then you can decide just how far you want to go with it.

quikbird

Reaction score
driving our cars is the main purpose for most of us so I want to ask a question, what do you put in the tool/parts box that you carry all the time? or what do you consider essential to have with you at all times? spare ballast resister etc?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
You're going to have to qualify the question a little more, there are some members that bought road runners new or used back in the day and were daily drivers to work, grocery shopping, vacations, school, dates, drag strip, etc..

Yep, ran the wheels off them too!

I put about 95-100k miles on my A12 when I had it.

3-4k miles annually on the 300 vert these days.

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Credit cards are always helpful in tight spots, I carry water and a fire extinguisher along with a few jugs of oil

Roadcuda

Reaction score
driving our cars is the main purpose for most of us so I want to ask a question, what do you put in the tool/parts box that you carry all the time? or what do you consider essential to have with you at all times? spare ballast resister etc?

When local I keep a 3/8 socket kit with a few wrenches and screw drivers. I have an extra ballast resistor in all my cars along with extra antifreeze, oil, tranny and power steering fluids. On the Carlisle trip I took the 1/2" sockets, full set of wrenches, water and fuel pumps.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
Ballast Resistor, Voltage Regulator, ECU. I've only had mine since the beginning of October and the first couple of months it needed a lot of help but I've probably managed 350/400 miles.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
just local, I keep a toolbox,spare ballast(only ever needed one in 30+ years, and that was in my own yard)rad hoses,t stat,fan belt. Last summer when I drove the car to The Nats I tossed in a spare starter,regulator,water pump.Water and oil.
Usually get 2000+ miles yearly.

Back