• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP or not HP ?

solid gold

Reaction score
What's the difference between an HP block and a regular 383? Hope this is not a stupid question? I might be needing a new block and crank. Thanks.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
solid gold said:
What's the difference between an HP block and a regular 383? Hope this is not a stupid question? I might be needing a new block and crank. Thanks.

Just the stamping that reads "HP". The difference between HP and non-HP lies only in the internal components; not the block.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
solid gold said:
new block and crank......whats going on with your 383??

solid gold

Reaction score
So,a regular block is ok? I took Solid Gold in for a rear main seal leak and might have opened a can of worms. Crank end play @ 25 thousandths and a bubble (seepage) on the side of the block . My motor has only 2900 miles on it. Misery loves company. It wasn't matching numbers. My thoughts are to get a block and crank and transfer as much as possible to the new one and move forward. This was not expected, but SH@# happens! :loco:

dobie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I had to replace the 383 in my car when i bought it. I found a low mileage 2bbl 383 that was running the day it got pulled. I bought the whole motor complete and dropped it straight into my bird. Only mod I did at that time was to swap out the intake/carb for my 4bbl. It ran great for a year, and then I modded the top end. Its been a great motor. It may just be easier to drop a running motor into yours for the time being as well.

solid gold

Reaction score
The machine shop found a 66 block and crank unmolested. (383) Not stamped HP, but hopefully it's gonna work out. I'll know more by next week. They're checking it over. 230.00 bucks. So far so good. This is NOT the same shop that rebuilt my first motor that didn't make it 3000 miles! Live and still learning. :eek:

Back