• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Pistol Metal Handle

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner with Hurst Pistol Grip with center console. I've had it for about 1.5 years. Does anyone know why the metal handle hits the chrome trim of the center console when the shifter goes into 2nd and 4th gear? It's been happening since I've had the car and it's annoying as hell. It doesn't appear to affect driving ability and it doesn't grind the gears. I've included photos in 2nd gear and 4th gear. Thank you for you help.

~Ritchie Valens

Hurst1.jpeg

Hurst2.jpeg

Ritchie Valens

Reaction score
maybe trany mount collapsing
That's a good point to check. I posted hoping someone has had the same exact issue and could pinpoint it. If not, I'll be starting with pulling the shift boot and checking adapter plate. A buddy of mine mentioned the center console may have been placed in the wrong place to start. The car has been having this issue since I acquired it, so that's possible too. I just hope not! Haha

mr4speed

Reaction score
I believe there was a problem with the location of the shifter mounting plate they were made for the stock E body and some of the A body was shorter because center console or not I think ? :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
1970 and later the A833 had 2 shifter locations cast into the tail housing B up front E in the rear. A body has a shorter tail housing and shaft with one mount. You either have a bad mount, console mounted wrong, shift rods adjusted wrong or worn, loose shifter.

Back