• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Shifter

trim88

Reaction score
Been cussing since early this AM. 2 different sources and 2 different stories on how to remove the Hurst shifter handle. I have a 69, but this shifter is out of a 70 or later because it has a "Pistol Grip". One says to insert a .010 feeler gauge into the slot next to the handle the other says insert into both sides of the handle. Neither way has helped me get the damn thing out.
It looks like there is a clip along side the handle that sits between the handle and the frame. Do you slip your tool between the handle and the clip? or do you slip it between the clip and the frame? I've tried both without any luck.
Or is there some other way it comes out?, other than a hacksaw?, which is about the way I'm ready go! Of course being Saturday, Hurst tech is not available.
I certainly haven't been able to contribute much to this Tech section, but I'm sure learning how to ask plenty of questions. and I very much appreciate any help from the pros and not so pro for that matter. :worship:,
Thanks, Jim

A31PKG

Reaction score
Between the handle and the clip... Really stubborn handles can be removed with a slide hammer with a vise-grip attachment.... clamp the handle down low so the marks won't be visible with the boot installed.... It would help to remove it from the car and do it on the bench....which is also a challenge, but doable... Good luck!

trim88

Reaction score
Thanks A31, I just needed a little confirmation... job is done. What a stubborn job, the handle has been in there for some time, I can see why they converted to bolt on.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, Jim

moparchris

Reaction score
Soak that mother with WD40 and I always put a .010 ish feeler gauge down both sides and pull like no tomorrow or find a BIG friend who can give it a good tug. The WD40 does wonders. Also wiggle the handle while pushing down on the feelers to get them ggod and deep. They can be stubborn. :brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It sounds as if you have a good bushing in there so that's a good thing, I had to replace mine.

Back