• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got some great news today!

chapdog105

Reaction score
My new body guy called today, and my car is next! The convertible will go their way in a couple weeks. Full rotisserie restoration this time, done the right way!

I stopped by their shop tonight to check out a 69 Coronet convertible they are just finishing up. It was perfect! I can't wait until they get a hold of my car.

These guys are a two man operation. They've done some great local work, and a couple of 69 RR verts for a buddy of mine. One of his convertibles they did was featured in Mopar Action in August of 2006.

It should take about 4-6 months. They work slow, and mix a few small jobs between to pay the bills. I'm at the point where I don't care how long it takes, as long as there is steady progress and it's done right.

They also don't want a dime until I'm 100% satisfied with the job! Now that's customer service.

After seeing that 69 Coronet convertible tonight, I'm already rethinking some things about my car. This is a real chance at making my vert one of the nicest around if it comes out like this Coronet did.

Maybe the 440 I just had balanced and blueprinted isn't the right choice for this car. There weren't any 69 440 convertibles to my knowledge.
Either way I don't have the original 383, unless someone can go back in time to 1981 when my dad threw it in a dumpster.
Should I go with the 69 440 I already have balanced, blueprinted, and the heads reconditioned with hardened valves? I did just drop about 2 grand on it...but I'm sure I could sell it for what I have in it.
Or should I try to find a 69 383 to get it as close to correct as possible?
Or maybe look into a crate hemi?
I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but like I said, I have a chance at making this car into something pretty special.
There was a local guy that just sold his 69 black RR convertible with a Arruzza Hemi. He was asking $80k. I heard he got $58k. Not bad for this market, but it did have a $20k motor in it.
I'd never sell mine, but it would be nice to know it worth some serious jack with a Hemi, even if incorrect.

Like I said, I'm in no hurry. The new body work and paint is going to cripple my checkbook for about year. This thing won't be on the road anytime soon either way.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Soumds like you got the right guy to do the job the correct way. :yesnod:

It's your car do it the way you want to unless ya trying to make it a trailer Queen :cents:

If you don't mind who and what shop is doing the car?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
since you don' have the original engine anyway and the 440 ls done l'd go wlth that. one thlng off the list and one less headache.
hope thlngs go your way thls tlme.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right track with the body shop. Personally I would use the 440 unless you have more money than a rich Saudi oil Barron :yesnod:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah nothing wrong with a 440 in a runner, for fun put the 383 hood emblems on it and see who notices. A good test to judge the IQ of who you are talking to at the shows.

A31PKG

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Yeah nothing wrong with a 440 in a runner, for fun put the 383 hood emblems on it and see who notices. A good test to judge the IQ of who you are talking to at the shows.

I was thinkin' the same thing.... dress it up to look like a 383, that way you keep the original look and the engine you just built! Of course a nice Hemi clone works too.......
:thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Sounds like your on the right track with the body shop. Personally I would use the 440 unless you have more money than a rich Saudi oil Barron :yesnod:
HEMI!!!!

Come on George where you at?

moparchris

Reaction score
That is great news actually. I am glad to see that you have the courage to forge on to finish it right. You have had some real hard knocks in the past and I hope some members here can learn from what happened to you. Good luck, sounds like your back on track! :thumbsup:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Great news. I would go with the 440. I'm about 70% done with my total restoration and the ONLY thing I regret is using the 383 instead of the 440. For the money I put into the 383, I could have build a 440 with power enough to go to the moon. Maybe another time. Go with the 440, great motor.

chapdog105

Reaction score
abodybill said:
Soumds like you got the right guy to do the job the correct way. :yesnod:

It's your car do it the way you want to unless ya trying to make it a trailer Queen :cents:

If you don't mind who and what shop is doing the car?

No trailer queen. I'm going to drive this car anytime I have a chance to.

It's going to Livonia/Westland area. The 2 guys are named Donny and Ralph.

droptop

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:

x2

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You could put 454 on the hood and the general public would believe it. Mine just says hemi and you wouldn't believe the expert comments on the cubic inches :basketcase:

moparstuart

Reaction score

Roadcuda

Reaction score
383 Hemi, :huh: i guess that's what I have then, and I didn't even know it!!!!! :jester:

Back