• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I knew I shouldn't have done that!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Well, following the suggestions of several people I got the lighter mechanical advance springs for the distrbutor. I even sprung for a new advance timing light! So I pulled the dis from the car today and disassembled the upper part to get to the springs. What I found was two different size springs. Since the two new springs are the same size I have to ask, should this have have had two springs of the same size? And what advantage could there be to have two different size springs? I included a picture of what was in there. The smaller spring came off easily, but the bigger was not so easy. Also the inside of the dis was dirty and had oil in it so I deceided to pull it all apart to clean it and make it easier to get the other spring off. Here's the screw up. While trying to punch the pin out of the collar I managed to break it. :brickwall: So now I'm SOL until I can get a new collar. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The collar used to be available from Chysler, but I don't know if it still is. IIRC, the replacement was metal with shims to correct end play.

The plastic collar gets brittle with age, so its not suprising it broke.

droptop

Reaction score
Different size of advance springs is an old tuners trick to adjust how fast the advance comes in.

BBillyC

Reaction score
I did exactly the same thing with that stupid plastic collar. I machined one out of metal on my drill press and installed it checking the clearance. It seems to work perfect. Next year though I think I will put in an MSD.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
I did exactly the same thing with that stupid plastic collar. I machined one out of metal on my drill press and installed it checking the clearance. It seems to work perfect. Next year though I think I will put in an MSD.
After hearing of your problem, and that John said they get brittle and break, well, I don't feel quite as bad now. But I haven't found one as of yet, and I'm not sure where else to look. I don't want to have to replace the whole unit since I want the stock look, so I'll just keep looking and hope I get lucky.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my Green Brother...if you can't find what you're looking for, I have the electronic dist we pulled from my car. just gathering dust.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I did the same thing a few years back. I went to my local Dodge dealer and they ordered me one right up. Take your broken one in with the distributor shaft to your local Mopar parts department and see if they can still get you one - then order 2 or 3 extras. They aren't that expensive.

BTW - from some of the reading I've done it has been stated that the MP springs are a bit too lightweight and allow too much advance too soon. It has been recommended that one should install one of the MP springs on one of the advance weights and your stock lightweight spring on the other advance weight. Ditch the heavy spring as it is pretty much useless. I use two of the stock lightweight springs with mine and have had good results.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I keep that in mind, but I do want to keep the stock look if I can. And thanks also Mac. I will try that and maybe I'll get lucky.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Re: I knew I shouldn't have done that! UUPDATE!

Roadcuda said:
Well, following the suggestions of several people I got the lighter mechanical advance springs for the distrbutor. I even sprung for a new advance timing light! So I pulled the dis from the car today and disassembled the upper part to get to the springs. What I found was two different size springs. Since the two new springs are the same size I have to ask, should this have have had two springs of the same size? And what advantage could there be to have two different size springs? I included a picture of what was in there. The smaller spring came off easily, but the bigger was not so easy. Also the inside of the dis was dirty and had oil in it so I deceided to pull it all apart to clean it and make it easier to get the other spring off. Here's the screw up. While trying to punch the pin out of the collar I managed to break it. :brickwall: So now I'm SOL until I can get a new collar. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

I went to a Mopar car show, with drag racing today, and there were a few venders there. Well, on of them had a Dis that had a intact collar on it, and I was 95% sure that it was the one for my car so for 20 bucks I took a chance and bought it. Well it is the same dis, and the bonus is that it has a working vaccum advance. I was thinking of putting the Pertronix unit in that one so I don't have to worry about busting up another collar, but it turns very stiffly so unless I can loosen it up I may have to take the chance and take it off.

Back