• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I solved the problem.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my questions about the timing problems I've had. I had put in an Accell point eliminator kit and could never get it timed right. The timing light would jump all over the place. When I had the leaks fixed they also looked at the timing, and he thought there was a problem with the air gap. One thing some suggested that I look at was a worn timing chain. One person suggested that I could check this out by turning the crank with a wrench while watching the rotor on the distributor. If it turned at the same as I started turning the crank then the timing chain would be good. And it did. Well anyway, I deceided to get a new eliminator kit and went with the Pertronix Ignitor kit. When I took out the Accell unit I noticed that the dis, shaft lobes were rubbing against the module, there was no gap, and was starting to wear out the module case. There were no problems swapping in the Petronix unit, and it has a gap of about .030. The engine fired right up and I noticed an difference in how it idled, it was much smoother then before. The engine seems to have a different sound to it as well, and it idles smoother when in gear while at a stop. Best part is that the timing light stays in one spot and I could get it timed on the marks. I did find one problem. The vacuum advance is not working. I tested it with a vacuum pump and it didn't move. Any leads on where I can get one? Sorry this is so long but you guys know I can get long winded, and I thougt you'ld like an update.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Bet your gas mileage improves too!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks Mac. That was one of the first places I had looked and didn't see anything. I will try again.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks again Mac. :thumbsup: I found it and it sure looks like the part I need. I'll let you know when it gets here!

Back