• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idler arm to Center Link question

Smokngun

Reaction score
10505387_1407494952806177_7279267403099310706_n.jpg

Hi All, I got a front end rebuild kit from PST and have run into my first snag. The item pictured is the idler arm and center link.

Fist question: Does the foam washer shown stay there? Or is this just packing material to keep grease in/dust out while storing transporting?

Second: Without the foam washer, tightening the nut presses the center link against the face of the idler arm prior to bottoming out on the taper as it should. The hole in the center link isn't ovaled out or anything. I put the old (original) idler arm on the center link and it tightens as it should.

Am I missing something? Or should I contact PST for a possible part return?

Thanks!

10505387_1407494952806177_7279267403099310706_n.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The foam washer should stay on there, but that's a moot point. If it doesn't fit... you can't use it. The taper has to be tight.

Smokngun

Reaction score
Looking closer at the idler arm it looks like the tapered shaft may not be sticking out far enough. It looks like there is a shoulder to butt the center link against, but it is below the surface of the arm forging. A call to PST on Monday is in order to see how to remedy this.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depending on the brand of idler that end would get a boot and the k-frame end would have one or two of those washers with the nut and bolt. But yes the taper is wrong.

Smokngun

Reaction score
Update: A quick call to PST this morning. They claim they have has this problem with a few idler arms for B-Bodies. They are sending out a new part (from a different supplier) along with a call tag to send the original back.

No hassle, great service from them!

Back