• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition ballast

mike69rr

Reaction score
Me again, I replaced the ignition ballast and tried to start engine but it will not stay running. I must keep the key in the start position to keep it running. I always keep a spare ballast, so the new one that I installed could be defective out of the box. I will see. Any other ideas what could be causing this issue ????

Thanks,

Mike

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Check electrical continuity on the ballast resistor to check it.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
Maybe just a bad ballast - maybe something a bit more complicated

There are 2 sources of 12 volts at the ignition ballast.
The first (dark blue wire) goes through the ballast and sends reduced voltage to the coil during normal driving when the key is in the "run" position. (a.k.a ign 1)
The second source of 12 volts (brown wire) is on the other side of the ballast (2 wire side -one wire goes to coil and the brown comes from the "start" position of the key switch) and provides a full 12 volts to the coil during start up. (a.k.a. ign 2)
It sounds as though you have 12 volts in the "start" but not the "run" position of the key switch. That is why it runs in start and then dies when the key switch is returned to run.
Check for 12 volts on the single wire side at the ballast with the key in the run position.
If you have that you should also have a reduced voltage coming out of the other side of the ballast.
When this happend to me the problem was in the connector at the key switch.
The "hill-billy" test is to run a 12 volt jumper to the ballast on the single wire side while leaving the stock wire disconnected and try to start the engine.
If it runs then you have to figure out why there is no 12 volts from the key switch in the run position.
Many times someone at some point in the car's life will have tapped into this wire for a keyed 12 volts to power their "bitchin" new tape deck. Look carefully for any suspicious looking electrical tape, or wire nut splices under the dash. A bad connection will cause this as well.
If you dont have this in your library; download and study this. http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerFull.pdf

Hope this helps.

Garts1969RR

Reaction score
We had a similar prob on my sons 1970 Super Bee. It was hard to start, lacked power, and often wouldn't run unless you hit the starter and then let off, then it would catch. No spark in crank position, but it had spark in run position. Opposite of what you are describing. We replaced the elec ign box that sits on the firewall and all the probs went away. I would try the jumper wire as described in the earlier post.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Great Explanation Vince! Your dating yourself with the "Bitchin Tape Deck" though! Course we wouldn't be reading this otherwise....

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
after having 15 or so B bodies I have seen some incredible wiring jobs by others.
I'm not old but just "high mileage".

Back