• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition breakdown

toms69rr

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Been out driving the car the last couple of days, and I am having trouble with ignition break down around about 3000 rpm.
She has new firecore wires on new ballast resistor voltage regulator. Everything is new.
I pulled the vacuum advance off it help some. It seems it runs pretty fair when cold but as it warms up it seems to break down. Thought about coil heating up breaking down, Could be
I am running points, check them gap and dwell are correct.
I did notice that the amp gauge in the instrument panel seems to look correct had all that redone by redline gauges. But the volt meter I put in shows it charging 15.5 volts constantly. I am going to check that with my multi meter.
Could that be my problem?
I do have a pertronix setup. I might have to go with that.
Friend of mine gave it to me. I will have to find out where to run the other 12 volt wire.
But I shouldn’t be having this problem
Any suggestions.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A coil will work pretty well cool and gets worse with heat, a common mistake is thinking its vapor lock they act the same. Hard start, breaksup under a load. Change the coil :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
look at your points.....see if a hole is burnt through.....that 15.5 volts dont sound right....voltage regulator may be stuck somewhere.....get rid of those points and go with that pertronex set up

John69RR

Reaction score
Sounds like the spring may be weak on the points and not letting them close. I experienced a very similar situation and after changing the points it went away. Got tired of the points and converted mine to MP electronic. Best thing ever.

toms69rr

Reaction score
Change plugs out to Champion
Summit recommended these Bosch plugs when I was at there place here in GA
That was the problem. Took them out,they look fine, replaced with the Champions. She screams again.
I am going to go with the electronic ignition; I wish I had gone with the electronic engine harness when I bought the new one from Year One.
They both were the same price :brickwall: :brickwall:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
toms69rr said:
Change plugs out to Champion
Summit recommended these Bosch plugs when I was at there place here in GA
That was the problem. Took them out,they look fine, replaced with the Champions. She screams again.
I am going to go with the electronic ignition; I wish I had gone with the electronic engine harness when I bought the new one from Year One.
They both were the same price :brickwall: :brickwall:

glad to see you got her screaming again

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Hoosier Bird said:
Hey, did you check the plugs.............like ray said friday? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
You da :devil: :lol:

Yeah, I'll say... :lol:

Apparently there's not enough blue versus green action for you so you're looking for new opportunities to :pot: do your thing...

:jester:

Back