• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition cylider question

mike69rr

Reaction score
This is my first post, so go easy on the new guy. When I attempt to start my roadrunner, I must manually hold the key in the start position but it disengages the starter to keep the engine running. I thought it was the ignition cylinder so I replaced it and inserted my old key lock set and the problem still persists. Could the key cylinder effect this issue? Thanks.

Ranger

Reaction score
Are you saying that when you release the key, the engine dies? If so, you need a new ballast resistor (assuming you are still running that system).

mike69rr

Reaction score
Thanks and I will try it. The engine does shut off and I am still on that system. I read on another forum that you should keep an extra ballast on hand which I just happen to have.

quikbird

Reaction score
That is a definite on the extra ballast resistor.

Welcome to the group. Expect a little teasing, we're big boys so go right ahead and tease back. Extra bonus points for being creative. Now.....

SHOW US SOME PICS OF THE BIRD PLEASE!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
definitely keep an extra ballast resistor in the car, then you'll never need it. I've only had one go bad in 30+ years of driving old mopars...and that was in 1985.

Back