• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Question

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I mentioned in a previous post I had ordered a new switch, well I worked all day today setting up this 383 to be fired up after sitting 25 years. UPS as usual late to the game with my switch. So I checked the plug to the ignition switch and Im getting good voltage there, so I try to use the original switch thats missing the key lock, I plug it in, thinking I should get at least the starter to turn over, and nothing. I go to the starter relay and kick her over with no problem. Does that switch have to be grounded?, I had it hanging under the dash. Is there any thing else I should check, Im use to the first generation electronics in my Duster. I also see a box on the back fire wall with a wire going in on both sides above the heater core hose connections, what is that? Im here to learn

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the box above the heater hoses sound slike the voltage regulator.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Is your car an Automatic or Stick? Automatics have a neutral safety switch that goes down to the transmission. It is the return wire that feeds the "coil" side of the starter relay. Its purpose is to not let the car start when not in neutral or park. I need a refresher myself, but on the automatics, I think it is the center pin of the 3 pin plug on the drivers side of the transmission. The wire finds its way from the transmission to the starter relay and is the path to ground when the 12 volts comes to the relay from the ignition switch while in "start" position. Pull the plug off, ground the pin and see if it starts to crank over. There is a wiring diagram on this site somewhere. Report back with your findings

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
There is a wiring diagram on this site somewhere

the 1969 FSM is in the tech section

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Yea, i checked it, nice and tite, had a very bad experience occur, Bird was backfiring in carb attempting to start her after 20 years, I thought I was 180 out, I was pulling the distributor, i saw some trash start to fall in the dist hole. i grabbed it as it was falling and I guess I loaded the cylinders with fuel, it must have seeped down the piston walls. The fuel and vapor in the engine ignited by some means shot fire out the hole and out the valve cover, My hand toasted, finger nail yellow, hands swollen now, Dam I love these Mopars! Been donating blood regularly., My fault I had took my eddy off my Duster, didnt put springs on carb and using a electric fuel pump had been trying to start it. Apparently dumping a crap load of fuel. Several hours later I came back about dusk and she acted like she might start, Ill try tomorrow after I put return springs on the throttle. Clean the plugs.

Back