• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Igniton Boxes

zupanj

Reaction score
I have an MSD ignition box I am about to install on my bird. In fact the only reason it's not on now is that I haven't found a place that hides it yet. A guy in my car club says that the boxes burn up on long road trips and that has happened to him a couple of times. This guy goes to shows all over the area and has taken 4-5 hour trips in his hot rod before. I have never heard of this. I have had a box in my Cobra for years and had no trouble but in fact a 20 mile trip would be long for me as I don't usually wander that far. However I have occasionally taken trips of 60-70 miles before.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

moparchris

Reaction score
I have an MSD box that is 15 years old and has never given me problems even when I took a 600 mile trip in my Swinger with 4.56 gears! I know the key to longevity is keeping it cool. I usually hide mine in the interior of the car near the heater box.

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I have had my msd for six years no problems. I keep mine right above the heater hoses on the firewall.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I have lost count on how may boxes have died suddenly on cars. All sorts of brands.

I have had some live forever and others die for no reason very soon.

I have learned that any road car needs a backup plan. I liked the old Jacobs boxes that could be back to stock with just a coil wire change.

If you have a track car, a backup box is a must. I know plenty of guys when I raced that couldn't make a pass when needed because of the stupid ignition box crapped out.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:

I have learned that any road car needs a backup plan. I liked the old Jacobs boxes that could be back to stock with just a coil wire change.

Yep! I had my point distributor with my MSD. Not as trick as a magnetic pickup, but real easy to change back to points only in a few minutes.

My plan is a spare Chrysler box with connections all made and ready to go should the MSD fail. It never failed me in over ten years, but I figure there's always a first time.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
They have to be in a cool place .....like under the dash......i also think it shouldnt see any moisture either......so under the hood is not the place for it......i had my msd-6al under my hood for years and when i drag raced and the track heat was 117 degrees it did act up.....its cool to see it under the hood but if you want it to last a long time trouble free....under the dash.....also use those rubber grommet isolater for mounting

dodgem1

Reaction score
Big John said:
SomeCarGuy said:

this,its the first set of directions in the 6als manual,i run a 30.00 oreily dissy-v/a removed-easily converted back to points just add the condenser that i keep in the glove box,but with the 6al the points see no fire they are only a trigger so they last 4ever- :cheers:
Yep! I had my point distributor with my MSD. Not as trick as a magnetic pickup, but real easy to change back to points only in a few minutes.

My plan is a spare Chrysler box with connections all made and ready to go should the MSD fail. It never failed me in over ten years, but I figure there's always a first time.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dodgem1 said:
Big John said:
SomeCarGuy said:

this,its the first set of directions in the 6als manual,i run a 30.00 oreily dissy-v/a removed-easily converted back to points just add the condenser that i keep in the glove box,but with the 6al the points see no fire they are only a trigger so they last 4ever- :cheers:

dodgem 1....you agree??

Back