• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm on my 4th Regulator !!

rollie

Reaction score
69 Roadrunner stroker 383/496 with MSD ignition and MSD blaster coil, stock alternator. Tried 3 new regulators ........charges for a short time (at maximum charging on the alternator gauge) and then blows. Alternator gauge then shows discharging all the time. Just tried 1970 style regulator with wiring harness rather than 2 wire connection. Got the same results. Don't think it's the alternator ...........changed it and got the same result. Any suggestions or diagnostic test procedures appreciated. I don't want to have to carry around a box of regulators!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The 70 style regulator only works with the isolated field (wrongly referred to as dual field) alternator. The 69 and earlier controls positive while the 70 up controls negative.

So there's your issue with the latest problem.

I would bet you have a wiring issue that is frying the other regulators.

Our reference section has diagnostic material on the charging system.

rollie

Reaction score
Big John.........Thanks very much for the information. I'm looking at Jegs Mopar Part # P3690732 as a possible solution. Do you think this might work? We have tested battery, alternator, grounds etc. All the regulators work for a short period of time (but all are post 1970 parts), and then they quit. Can you also please provide link to the reference section for diagnostics.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
agree with the wiring issue. my second car was a '74 Torino make into a Starsky & Hutch car. I went thru multiple altornaters and regulaters. Finally changed the wiring and problem wa solved.

rollie

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and the regulator reference. Will be testing wire connections and circuits tomorrow before installing another regulator........but I will use the VR 706 when the time comes.

rollie

Reaction score
VR706 .........yup .............works great! No wiring issue........just needed pre 69 regulator that could handle old alternator with new MSD ignition. Thanks!

Back