• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In da Hood part II

69383RR

Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind me posting a few more hood pictures . As you can see I permanently sealed the open frame work on the top portion of the hood.

hood025_zps6ab83dba.jpg

I made this hood shield out of fiberglass to cover the inner workings of the hood frame .

hood029_zpsc227c4c8.jpg

I'm not sure I will go with this look in the long run . I'm thinking about sealing the openings individually
like I did at the top , its a cleaner look .

hood030_zps4203f01e.jpg

hood021_zpsf42c5808.jpg

I'm glad I messed around with these test stripes , I ran into trouble with the vent openings on the cowl deck . You need to measure and line up the stripes there first , then move onto the hood .
hood008_zps6a324619.jpg

hood003_zps12cc67d3.jpg

hood005_zps60225932.jpg

hood006_zps55c44260.jpg

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
The car came with black outs for the scoops I replaced them with screens , they are non functional .The shield for lack of a better word is removable if I need to get to or remove the scoops for any reason .

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
Thanks ! I just like a more finished look , a custom look if you will. I'll probably apply some sort of finished treatment to the trunk compartment as well .

Last edited:

modernistsouth

Reaction score
All good in the hood…. I like the idea of giving the hood a finished look. I think it would look better with 5 separate pieces that fit into the stamped recesses in the hood bracing instead of one large sheet. If you cast the fiberglass with an angled lip that gives it dimension, you can create removable inserts that make the underside of the hood one level plane. Just my opinion, though.

69383RR

Reaction score
Sounds interesting . This is just a prototype so multiple pieces are not out of the question .

modernistsouth

Reaction score
What are you using to mold the fiberglass? I like to use the pink insulation foam from Home Depot or the green stuff from Lowe's. It carves easily and you can use common wood shop tools and rasps. It's cheap too. And if you need dimension, just adhere several layers together.

69383RR

Reaction score
That's what I use sometimes only its blue . I plan to fabricate a center console down the road , to take up some of that space between the buckets .

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looks nice and clean. Did you use push plugs in all the other holes, or something removable? Reason I'm asking is that just below the hood latch is a row of 8 holes that go the length of the hood where a rubber gasket should be. If your engine runs warm like most mopars the gasket helps to force air threw the radiator rather than just into the engine bay. Same purpose as the gravel shield behind the bumper, keep it in mind if you have heat issues.

69383RR

Reaction score
That's a very good point , thanks .We have a four row aluminum radiator with duel electric fans to keep the temps down . Its amazing how efficient this unit is at keeping the entire system running cool .

Last edited:

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind me posting a few more hood pictures . As you can see I permanently sealed the open frame work on the top portion of the hood.

I made this hood shield out of fiberglass to cover the inner workings of the hood frame .

I'm not sure I will go with this look in the long run . I'm thinking about sealing the openings individually
like I did at the top , its a cleaner look .

I'm glad I messed around with these test stripes , I ran into trouble with the vent openings on the cowl deck . You need to measure and line up the stripes there first , then move onto the hood .

That's a little different, but I like the concept, looks really clean, nice job & very well done !!

Back