• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In The Clutch

solid gold

Reaction score
Went thru 45 pages of Tech Stuff looking for recommendations of clutches. Might have missed it. Anyways,when Solid Gold was rebuilt,a less than standard clutch was installed. I never did like it. Had to put an extra spring on it for the pedal to return. What brand do you all run? I don't race it, but would like a stiffer feel to it.The tranny is out and the motor will be pulled tomorrow.So ,now is the time. Thanks No girlies need apply. :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
McLeod here. I love them, although some will complain about the stiff pedal but those guys are girliematic guys in disguise. :lol:

A31PKG

Reaction score
This is from my experience, and some may argue this, but the Borg & Beck style cover is what these cars were originally designed to use. It is identified by the "three finger" design. The other style is a multi-lever design sometimes referred to as a diaphram style. Stay away from those! I use Hayes, but other manufacturers offer the Borg & Beck style as well. If you go that route, you should not have any top pedal spring issues, with plenty of feedback.

dobie

Reaction score
moparchris said:
McLeod here. I love them, although some will complain about the stiff pedal but those guys are girliematic guys in disguise. :lol:

:yeathat: McLeod is what I use too.

zupanj

Reaction score
"The other style is a multi-lever design sometimes referred to as a diaphram style. Stay away from those!"

Why would say to say away from a diaphram clutch? There have been plenty in use with no issues that I'm aware of.

I went with a McLeod diaphram clutch when I did my hemi install on recommendation by the folks at Brewer's Performance. You do have to remove the overcenter spring under the dash though. I don't recall why that is necessary but it is not a big deal to take out.

I have had no problems with this set up and it's been in for 3 years now.

A31PKG

Reaction score
zupanj said:
"The other style is a multi-lever design sometimes referred to as a diaphram style. Stay away from those!"

Why would say to say away from a diaphram clutch? There have been plenty in use with no issues that I'm aware of.

I went with a McLeod diaphram clutch when I did my hemi install on recommendation by the folks at Brewer's Performance. You do have to remove the overcenter spring under the dash though. I don't recall why that is necessary but it is not a big deal to take out.

I have had no problems with this set up and it's been in for 3 years now.

As I said: "from my experience"... removal of the spring is not needed when using the "correct" style cover. The multi-finger or diaphram style was created to lessen the effort needed to engage/dis-engage the clutch. These cars were not designed for that type of comfort. The over-the-top spring was used by engineers to help decrease the pedal effort of the Borg & Beck, thus a diaphram style cover almost always requires the removal of said spring. I just like my clutch to feel the way Ma MOPAR designed it....To each his own. My :cents: that's all.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I have no idea what clutch is in mine, but it's the best I've ever had. The pedal is somewaht stiff, but hasn't slipped at all in 5 years.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
I'm using a centerforce dual friction.(diaphragm) It's the first one I've ever used but so far I like it. You have to remove the over center spring so the clutch disengages, the pedal could stay on the floor. Personally I don't want a semi truck feel in my birds clutch. :cents:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I have a Ram Gold pressure plate (diaphram style) with a Ram disc and Centerforce Billet Steel flywheel. No problems - and one of the best clutches I've had. Borg and Beck/Long style hybrid pressure plates are also good. I had a Hayes before this one and it went bad.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
I'm using a centerforce dual friction.(diaphragm) It's the first one I've ever used but so far I like it. You have to remove the over center spring so the clutch disengages, the pedal could stay on the floor. Personally I don't want a semi truck feel in my birds clutch. :cents:
BACK WHEN I WAS A 4 SPEED BANG SHIFTER THIS WAS WHAT I LIKED :yeathat:

moparchris

Reaction score
I have had 3 bad experiences with Centerforce diaphragm clutches. 2 of them came unglued at low RPM cruising and made hamburger out of my trans (read that broken case) the third one that was in my Bee was new but made horrible noise when engaging and the pedal liked to hang up on the floor when power shifting, it also slipped when engaged at full throttle. I swore them off and have had nothing but good experiences with the McLeod long style clutch. I figure if the engineers at Mopar thought it was good enough then its good enough for me.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i had to go from the diaphram style to the borg warner style. the problem was when the rpms would get high enough the clutch pedal would stay on the floor. once the rpms dropped down the pedal would return. have had no problems since i switched.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
mac said:
i had to go from the diaphram style to the borg warner style. the problem was when the rpms would get high enough the clutch pedal would stay on the floor. once the rpms dropped down the pedal would return. have had no problems since i switched.
Did you remove the over center spring Mac?

zupanj

Reaction score
"Did you remove the over center spring Mac?"

That's what I was wondering too.

Back