• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing an Electronic Control Unit

4spd69RR

Reaction score
OK guys I need a little help, as I restore my bird I am removing the old points distributor and installing new with the electronics control unit. The question I have to ask is for mounting the ECU on the fire wall. I have to drill two new holes in the fire wall above the intake and outlet for the interal heater. If I am high enough on the firewall will I hit anything on the other side? Or do I need to take the heater back out?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my car had electronic when zI got it, took it off and put points back in. My ECU was mounted just below the ballast resistor. or some mount them under the battery tray to help keep them out of site, or on the passenger inner fender under the washer bottle. no need to take the heater out.

John69RR

Reaction score
Yes you do need to be careful because the vent cowling is behind there. When I installed mine I drilled two new holes. A friend of mine was in a body shop class at the local community college and he brought home a blind hole threaded insert tool. This is very similar to a pop rivet gun except it uses threaded inserts. It worked out great. You need to watch the screw length also when installing.

1969 Road Runner 006.1a.jpg

Back