• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing axel bearing on the 8-3/4 Diff.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
After reading about installing the green bearing kit read to pull the spacer out of the chunk. I was told that you don't need the bearing adjuster. So if any one has pic's of how every thing goes together would appreciate it. Or any tip's I should know. Russ.

dmartin

Reaction score
Hey Russ I would think that if your back lash and wear pattern are good I would leave it in there I left mine out and did the pre load and everything was good and it doesn’t wine or grind or make any noise of course I’m sure I don’t know everything like some of the other old old guys but that’s how mine works

RonLiv

Reaction score
Russ, I have the service manual for the 1969 Plymouth, has tons of diagrams of everything. I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what it is you are looking for I don't. Can you tell me in plain layman's terms and I'll check the manual. I'm betting they have a diagram.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I prefer the tapered bearings but if you go green use a service manual which you can find on this site.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Had not looked into the service manual. Some say the spacer in the chunk for axel end play has to be taken out or cut down. Still asking around to supply houses and others. Want to do this once. I will take a look into the service manual. So Just thought someone had pic's but that is ok. Have done a many a rear axel bearing and race replacement but each one had its own special thing to do. Thanks guys. :thumbsup2:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ive taken the center plug out on a limited slip for green bearings, no pics though. I know some will grind some of the axle off for clearance. Some will clear by leaving the nail kit out.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. It seams that if I use my original axel's then don't have to remove the spacer. So seeing's how the rear end is set up will just leave it alone. And pray it work's . :thumbsup2:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
No Just open. May be one day will get the limited slip or clutch type. Found out that you can not put the clutch in the 741 something about the axels bigger and thing's wont work. So later will look at a Dana or larger 8-3/4. This will get it on the road. Still have to go through the A833 transmission. :)

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think you are going to run into axle clearence problems with the green bearings with the plug in there.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Doctor Diff. say's I should not have a problem with original axel's. Will see. Let you know what I run into 69hemibeep. :beep:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well I am not sure about that will find out and post comment's. Hope it goes well. Don't know what will happen if I have to remover the Axel. If it will mess up the bearing or not. Wish me luck. Russ. :thumbsup:

droptop

Reaction score
I put green bearings in my 66 Charger years ago without doing anything to the axles and had no clearance issues.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Oh thanks guy's. Just got the bearing on today broke my press trying to get the marriage ring on. Well it was home made so welded her up and finished the job. You can heat up the ring gun metal blue and it will go on easy but decided to oil axel and ring with WD 40. Whey their done. Now time to put it together. :praying:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well here it is. Will put brake's and drums on after installing it back in the car. Bent one of the brake drum's used it as a spacer so the new lug bolts would not get messed up. Getting new Bendix drum's. Also brake lines and E brake cables. The new green bearing's went in like a charm. No issues with the axel spacer plug in the chunk .IMG_0101.JPG

Back