• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing factory tach into non-tach cluster?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
I want to ditch my current APC glow in the dark column mounted ricer tach for a factory tach.

What all is involved in doing so?

I have yet to tear the cluster apart and have no idea what it looks like back there.

Is it pre-wired for tach power/lights?

It will be triggered off of my MSD 6AL box (if that makes any difference)

red 69 runner

Reaction score
I installed mine ,you have to pull the cluster out(what a PITA).I bought mine from Year One and it came with the light harness and it plugs into the orange circuit,a three way feamale plug that the ash tray and radio lights plug into,there should be a extra spot not being used.The new wireing harness comes with a rubber grommet, look on your fire wall and there should be a small rubber plug in the hole that they would have run the wire thru from the factory, the new grommet is larger since there is a connector on the end of the wire,just use a vari bit and make the hole large enough for the new grommet. you will also need the engine side harness,it connects to the tail comeing thru the firewall and connects to the negative side of the coil

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I installed mine ,you have to pull the cluster out(what a PITA)the coil

ain't that the truth! Compared to the Rally Dash, I think it would be eaiser to have the windshield pulled then pull the whole dash. be eaiser to change the non power master cylinder too!:brickwall:

Roof man

I'm putting on a sticker that going to say these s
Reaction score
Once you get the cluster out its really easy. Getting the dash cluster out is tricky. There are several screws inside and very difficult to get to. Go slow and be patent. Good luck. I love my tach a lot better than a broken clock. Year one.

w8kbrder

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread as I plan on doing the factory tach as well....but does anyone have any links to DIYs regarding removal of the cluster/dash?

Back