• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing new electronic ignition

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This car already had a non points system. Got the new distributor and ECU box with blast resistor. Believe that I do need the voltage regulator still. The blast resistor sent with the kit is smaller than the original one. I have concerns with that it is 20 ohms at 8 amp. Have new style alternator. Think it should have the voltage regulator built in but it should not hurt to have the one on the fire wall wired in. Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Russ.

quikbird

Reaction score
regulator is redundent. keep it simple. less connections the better. new alternators usually have regulator inside. check instructions on ecu box. most delete the ballast resistor. i know my msd 6al box deletes it.

V.R.D

Reaction score
post pictures of regulator's , and is it a mopar box and dizzy ?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Got the original type regulator from NAPA. Yes most alternator's have regulator in them also. The Alt. I have came with the car. Don't know what it is. I will look tomorrow. To see if their is any number's on it. But it was working with the Regulator on the fire wall. So to say the direction's on this ECU box dose not show eliminating it. Had point less distributor in the car some one had already converted it over to electronic one. Yes let me take some pic's and post them here. Trying not to chop into the wring harness. Oh they did send me another blast resistor with the kit for the distributor. Thank every one. All most done except for putting the batterie tray in and the starter. Still have to do the head light's but that don't stop me from firing up the motor.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
IMG_0103 (3).JPG Here is the pic's of what I have done so far. The alternator is a Delco Remy. Will have to see if I can look it up tomorrow. So I know the amp out put. It worked figured to clean it up and use it. Might save a little money. LOL. IMG_0105 (2).JPG IMG_0102 (3).JPG

V.R.D

Reaction score
View attachment 33975 Here is the pic's of what I have done so far. The alternator is a Delco Remy. Will have to see if I can look it up tomorrow. So I know the amp out put. It worked figured to clean it up and use it. Might save a little money. LOL. View attachment 33973 View attachment 33974

that is a gm alt you need a square back alt.some one did not do that right. the ign/ reg, look right the regulator looks like old style you should have a electronic reg

s-l300.webp

this is a ele, regulator

other wise all looks good

V.R.D

Reaction score
napa should be able to get the mopar alt for you and this style regulator. or has that regulator an updated electronic one ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you want to use the GM alternator it is internally regulated but you still need the ballast for the ignition. If you need that many amps I would go with a Powermaster Chyrysler style alternator but that's your call. I have the 95 amp powermaster on my Valiant with an external regulator it runs my A/C sound system and fans

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Oh if that is a new old style regulator they are updated inside the old cover so no worries.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
napa should be able to get the mopar alt for you and this style regulator. or has that regulator an updated electronic one ?
No it look's like the old style reg. That is what was on the car when getting it. Let me talk to Napa. Thank you for the info.

V.R.D

Reaction score
No it look's like the old style reg. That is what was on the car when getting it. Let me talk to Napa. Thank you for the info.
i have a 75 amp alt square back with a build in /on heavy duty reg/ so it is a one wire. at 75 amp . no pulley on it i would let go for 80 bucks if you want.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thanks let me see what is going on. Want to test the system once I get it all together. Will test the amp out put of this one. Or try to find out what it is. Appreciate it and will keep you in mind. Russ.

Ranger

Reaction score
For what it's worth.
I replaced my alternator a few years ago with a Napa unit. It lasted 1 month.
The replacement they pulled from stock had a big nick in the pulley. Looked as if it had been dropped.
I got a refund and went elseware.

Back