• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase might be the pro on this subject. Let say your car is in the garage, the car has an electical fire and burns everything down. Or your garage catches fire and takes the car with it. Does you car insurance cover the building or the building cover the car, or is it two claims? And Ray, I am not planning an accident just wondering if my homowners is up to the task. :jester: This is a detached garage.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase might be the pro on this subject. Let say your car is in the garage, the car has an electical fire and burns everything down. Or your garage catches fire and takes the car with it. Does you car insurance cover the building or the building cover the car, or is it two claims? And Ray, I am not planning an accident just wondering if my homowners is up to the task. :jester: This is a detached garage.

thats a great question :popcorn: :popcorn:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a really great article in the latest issue of MCG that covered this... Some poor guy up in Cleveland lost his house, cars, and over a million $ in parts in a home fire... I'm doing this from memory, but IIRC:

Homeowners only covers the building...and if you have a huge parts cache, unless they are specifically enumerated and listed in the policy you're outta luck on those too...

Auto policy only covers the car...and none of the parts that are not bolted onto the car at the time of the fire...

I could refer back to the article for you if you need anything further.

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Bob? While that's a great and improtant question, wouldn't it be better if you asked your Ins. company or agent? It would seem that they could answer that question better then any of us experts! :jester: And then you'll know for sure.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
even during the resto of my car i had insurance on it. for the cost of an agreed upon value policy it will give you great piece of mind. they (the insurance company) were told that the car was not complete. they said fine just show us some pics and as time goes on update the pics and the coverage if needed.

zupanj

Reaction score
Ithink Acme A12 is correct. I have a Superformance Cobra and I put the drivetrain in in my garage. When it was finished my insurance company person helpfully told me after the fact the that rolling chassis was not covered by homeowners and if something had happened I would have been out of luck. Also if the car was running then it is covered by car insurance. I have a specialty policy on the Cobra and the Roadrunner and I just asked this question. I stored the Cobra in a friends garage at his house for three weeks while I was working on the hemi transplant project. He checked his homeowners and they specifically said that the Cobra was not covered. I called the car insurance company and they said it was covered as long as it was inside the garage.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Bob? While that's a great and improtant question, wouldn't it be better if you asked your Ins. company or agent? It would seem that they could answer that question better then any of us experts! :jester: And then you'll know for sure.
Its not as fun, and I will, but I wanted some insight before he tries to sell me the world. Hes a good guy until he puts on the ol sales hat :crazy:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mac said:
even during the resto of my car i had insurance on it. for the cost of an agreed upon value policy it will give you great piece of mind. they (the insurance company) were told that the car was not complete. they said fine just show us some pics and as time goes on update the pics and the coverage if needed.
I did the same Mac, and I need to up that policy also!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
Its not as fun, and I will, but I wanted some insight before he tries to sell me the world. Hes a good guy until he puts on the ol sales hat :crazy:

I figured that this was your next step... :yesnod:

And do not forget about the parts issue if you're sitting on 15 original A12 hoods and air cleaner assemblies...and let me know when you're available to get together for a beer if you are... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
And do not forget about the parts issue if you're sitting on 15 original A12 hoods and air cleaner assemblies...and let me know when you're available to get together for a beer if you are... :lol:

:jester:[/quote]
How do you know these things :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

How do you know these things :jester:[/quote]

Spy-web-cam...right out of the ACME Catalog... :lol:

Got my eye on that NOS 'Cuda Shaker Hood and Bubble you've got on the wall too... :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

How do you know these things :jester:

Spy-web-cam...right out of the ACME Catalog... :lol:

Got my eye on that NOS 'Cuda Shaker Hood and Bubble you've got on the wall too... :D

:jester:[/quote]
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ouch its hot out

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Holy smokes!

Is your bank clock accurate? It just said 112º F, thats hot.
Yes it is, and when it cools to 110 I'm going to work on my garage extension :loco:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
good for you guys...with all that heat....i feel like i am in southeast asia again with the monsoons....all its doing is raining

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
4 sheets of siding and i'm drenched :lol: I'll have to get in the ol hot tub with a :cheers: later. but first some more siding :loco:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It seems to me that one of the companies, possibly Haggerty, also covered extra parts.

That said... Homeowners has changed over the years. For example, I noticed mine now covers my car trailer from theft.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Oh yea, you can check with your agent... but let me tell you from my own experiences, they don't know what is really covered and what isn't.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
Oh yea, you can check with your agent... but let me tell you from my own experiences, they don't know what is really covered and what isn't.
Guess I better bust out the policy :toetap:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
your homeowners will cover the garage, and contents. Contents DO NOT cover any car. You have to have car insurance to cover the car. I have Hagerty on the yellow car. They have an agreed value, and will cover $750 of parts.

Back