• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake install

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Ok guys need to get my head straight on this. I am installing my six pack intake. I have the valley pan and fel-pro gaskets. Do I need to place a felpro gasket on either side of the valley pan mounting surfaces?

red 69 runner

Reaction score
I just replaced the manifold on my 383 and I put paper on both sides of the valley pan,used a little permatex high tac to keep everything in place.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
That was what I was thinking also, I'm used to just placing the valley pan on then torquing the bolts down. So placing a gasket on either side uh?

John69RR

Reaction score
I use the paper on both sides of my 6 bbl intake also. I like to use 3M spray adhesive to hold them in place. I believe it is 3M #77.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have the 3m spray, valley pan, and fel-pro gaskets. I am going to first place the valley pan on to check to see if I need to use the paper gaskets. I'm thinking I might have too because the intake is an after market Edelbrock. Just want to make sure I get it sealed the first time and not have to go back to re-do the job later. One of the things I realized when I was installing my lifters and rocker assembly, some how I have a set of RB push rods so if anyone needs a set let me know. Luckly I had an extra set for a 383 or I would be running down to the local speed shop.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You never use to get paper gaskets with the pan, I wonder if they are intended to be used with mill work to line things up again. :huh:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I just use some Hi-emp RTV around the ports on both sides of the gasket and on the pan rails front and back. No need to use a lot of it, just a light to moderate amount. No leaks in the 8+ years the intake has been on on the car (Edelbrock Performer RPM).

John69RR

Reaction score
In the paperwork for the Edelbrock heads they recommend using the Fel-Pro 1214 intake gasket set. This set has the valley pan plus 2 thin paper gaskets. Fel-Pro also makes a set of thicker paper gaskets but they do not work.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John69RR said:
In the paperwork for the Edelbrock heads they recommend using the Fel-Pro 1214 intake gasket set. This set has the valley pan plus 2 thin paper gaskets. Fel-Pro also makes a set of thicker paper gaskets but they do not work.
Ive got the 1214 set for my 440 and was debating as to use them or not, I never had any problems in the past with just the pan.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Jobs complete used the gaskets with valley pan. Went on like butter no issues. The only other thing I am not sure of is the torque value for the 6 1/4 x 20 x 1/2 bolts on the front and back of the valley pan. Since they are small bolts I would think no more than 20 ft/lbs. Is there a torque requirement for them?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
Jobs complete used the gaskets with valley pan. Went on like butter no issues. The only other thing I am not sure of is the torque value for the 6 1/4 x 20 x 1/2 bolts on the front and back of the valley pan. Since they are small bolts I would think no more than 20 ft/lbs. Is there a torque requirement for them?

manifold bolts 50 ft/lbs
cover bar bolts 15 ft/lbs

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I torque them too, thanks for the reply. Did not figure that they would be more than that. Will throw up some pics as soon as I can get a camera. I don't have my carbs on at this time. Going to take them to a shop so they can be throughly cleaned and rebuilt. When I bought the car this past December from my friend the carbs had been setting on a shelf for several years uncovered.

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
You never use to get paper gaskets with the pan, I wonder if they are intended to be used with mill work to line things up again. :huh:

No I dont. Too many things stack up and then nothing lines up. I have done the silicone trick like Johnny McMopar, but it says right on the silicone tube that its gas soluable.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:

No I dont. Too many things stack up and then nothing lines up. I have done the silicone trick like Johnny McMopar, but it says right on the silicone tube that its gas soluable.

i like to use permitex ultra gray. :cents:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Here is an update on the heads, intake, and new valve covers after being installed. The engine is starting to look very sexy my friends. The carbs are out being cleaned and rebuilt. Hopefully I have them back soon and should have the rest of the engine parts installed by then.

100_0053.JPG

Back