• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting History on the Roadrunner

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Thanks Big. First I ever heard about Yates connection.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Big John":2cuw50v6]One of the few I've read that mentions Brock Yate's contribution. I leave it to you guys to make comments there for corrections. (like the air cleaner)[/quote] You remember this one? Yates is also mentioned. [url="http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5896&p=69089&hilit=interview#p69089 said:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5896&p=69089&hilit=interview#p69089[/url][/quote:2cuw50v6]

I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

peresvet24

Reaction score
Big John said:
ACME A12":3rjb5f7w][quote="Big John":3rjb5f7w]One of the few I've read that mentions Brock Yate's contribution. I leave it to you guys to make comments there for corrections. (like the air cleaner)[/quote] You remember this one? Yates is also mentioned. [url="http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5896&p=69089&hilit=interview#p69089 said:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5896&p=69089&hilit=interview#p69089[/url][/quote:3rjb5f7w]

I don't remember what I had for breakfast.[/quote:3rjb5f7w]
:basketcase: :basketcase: :thumbsup:

jays69bird

Reaction score
I have heard about the Yates connection,I have also read that Plymouth had a budget musclecar in the works before he suggested it.Who knows for sure,I know you could get a 426 street wedge in a plain jane Belvedere in 64 or 65 that would toast the legendary "GTO." But they wern't marketed as a package,which I think is what Brock was getting at. Still let's face it was three things,the image of the Roadrunner with the decal's and horn,the low price,and the fact that the 68 was a lot better looking than previous B bodys and better looking than some of the 68 GM intermediates,which to my eye always looked bloated. But without the bird decal's and horn it was just a plain jane Belvedere like the ones they had been selling all along,the image made the car a hit. One thing is for sure THANK GOD we are not posting on 69LaMancha.net right now! :lmao:

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Nice read, love those story's :yeathat: Not to take anything away from the GTO but Plymouth's do hold up better. I would have touted that in 69 too I f could have. lol I was only 4.

mcmopar

Reaction score
You guys should have been at the Nats back in '05 for the Year of the Road Runner. Gordon Cherry was there and told the whole story of how the Road Runner came to be. That was the most entertaining story you'd ever want to hear.

Back