• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is being an opportunist and an a$$hole the same thing?

djais1801

Reaction score
Okay, so I put my RR on a website for sale just to see what kind of interest it would get. I know that europe is paying big dollars for american muscle cars. After conferring with a forum member of another site that lives in Germany, estimated a higher value of what I listed on the US site.

Someone on the german site saw my US post with a lower price and called foul. I explained that I am the owner, and there is a higher value there, if you want the car buy it at the US price from that site.

Am I being a jerk for trying to get more $$$ in a region that has a higher demand?

Really...at the end of the day a car is only worth what the seller is willing to let it go for. but that's not my question.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm not name calling and I understand what you are trying to do but its not called the world wide web for nothing. Just set the price you want its kinda like saying this is my price medium income and this price is for high income.

Ranger

Reaction score
Unless you are in a hurry to sell, and it doesn't sound like you are, post it in Europe and if you don't get any response, then post it here. Being a "world wide" web, you are almost sure to get "caught".

Another way to look at it is, what if you bought a car you saw on a dealer web site and then came home and found it still on Autotrader for a $1000 less than what you paid? Not passing judgment, just offering another point of view.
Legal, yes, ethical or moral could be debated either way.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Bob on this. The price is the price and that's that.

Now if you wanted to charge a premium for messing around with selling the car overseas, like having to deal with money transfers, shipping etc., I could understand that, but the better alternative is to build that into the asking price and be firm on the price for overseas sales and more flexible on domestic sales.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The buyer also gets hit with shipping and tariffs depending on where they are.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I dunno...never been called an opportunist , so I have no reference.....and it looks like the Russians hacked Big's account....

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Nice debate here, for sure in Europe prices are really high! That is why I bought my bird in your country guys! ;)

The starting price for example of an hellcat challenger here in France is over 100k! for a basic 2016 Mustang 5.0 it is about 55k!

And for old Mopars the price is also higher, once they are in France boum the price goes up instantly! But if you look around on website in USA I never saw different prices for one and other country. The only time I saw this, was when the car was sold in US for about 20k lets say, and for another country 26k because the fees and taxes and transportation were included.
But I understand what you did, but don't forget that the European guy have to pay for the car to come in his country, so what is his interest to buy your car at the same price of one In Europe knowing that he has to pay a way more for shipment and fees.

Your car looks really cool so you won't have any problem to sell it oversea at the right price ;)

we have got a saying here in France, I'm gonna try to translate it the best as I can:
"Who tries nothing gets nothing"

So I guess you had the right to try to sell it at a higher price lol

Last edited:

darrell69

Reaction score
Can you provide the Europe site you are listing on. I have a 69 Roadrunner I am selling as well and have been getting slow bites in the states.

djais1801

Reaction score
Can you provide the Europe site you are listing on. I have a 69 Roadrunner I am selling as well and have been getting slow bites in the states.

Darrell, it was a pain in the a$$ 'cause I had to translate everything via google to understand what I was filling out. A forum just like this.
http://www.mopar-forum.eu/

Are you looking to unload the green 69 you just took in?

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey djais1801 what you got to say is that a rock star owned it. Maybe that will help with the price. What was I thinking.

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
You can try on :
Leboncoin.fr

But you Will have to translate everything too :\

Back