• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the engine really running hot?

earlyrides

Reaction score
If you have a choice between a $20 dollar "bargain" temp gauge and a $60 dollar Autometer or Stewart Warner unit you might want to consider the better unit.
There is also some difference in opinion it seems between electric by wire and copper thermal sensors.
I have also heard that a 2/3 sweep will be more accurate than a 1/2 or even less sweep on the gauge.

What hauge did you end up buying?

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
I actually ended up purchasing a Auto meter Electric Gauge. Auto Meter Sport Comp 2-5/8" Electrical Water Temperature Gauge. I knew I wanted to go with Auto Meter but didn't really know if I should go electric or not. Should I return this one and go with a different one? If so please give me a few examples that I cannot go wrong with :)

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
I finally got some time this past weekend to play around with the car. I have changed out the thermostat twice and on the second time i drilled two holes in it. After 10 mins it would start running hot. This time i pulled the stock temp sending unit from the block and put in the autometer sending unit and connected my manual gauge. After putting the car back together and adding the coolant I took her for a spin and the temp never rose above 185. I plan on taking her out through the week just to make sure it stays at that temp. I'm guessing the sending unit is bad but it could be the gauge or wiring maybe? I'm just glad its reading a good temp! Thanks for everyone's help!!! Just in time for the next car show!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and that's why I push for the manual gauages. I've seen too much difference between the factory and the manuals, weither it's the oil or the temp.

Back