• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coming to the rest of us ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The only way you could get taxed here is if its registered. I have one with an open title and bill of sale and the car will leave my place in pieces.

torredcuda

Reaction score
What type of tax is on a parts car, as 69hemibeep said unless it is registered there is no tax to pay in my state?

V.R.D

Reaction score
i don't know but you know how government:mad::mad: works

RonLiv

Reaction score
Am I to understand that in Kansas you pay an "annual tax" based on the value of your car? That's harsh. I think that would be near impossible to monitor as identical cars can vary greatly in value based on a number of things and would change every year. In PA we pay property taxes based on the value of the home. The tax office has an established assessed value, which can be challenged, but it doesn't vary that much. When you buy a car, you pay a flat percentage tax based on the sale price. You could see where there might be some fraud there when one purchases a used car for cash. We do pay an annual fee to register the car, but it's the same for all cars and is nominal. If you register the car as an antique, you pay registration only one time and it does not require an annual inspection.

A lot of guys here register their cars in Montana to avoid paying the State taxes. You have to set up and LLC in that State and title the car in the LLC, but they have no tax. It has to be a really high dollar car to make sense.

Note to self: Never move to Kansas.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
The legal point would be if it's a "car". I would think.
Of course, just like in the everlasting title question, ever state is sovereign and makes the rules up for that state as it goes along.
But the guy has it registered?
It's a car.
It appears to me he MIGHT be trying to have his car and eat it too.

V.R.D

Reaction score
Am I to understand that in Kansas you pay an "annual tax" based on the value of your car? That's harsh. I think that would be near impossible to monitor as identical cars can vary greatly in value based on a number of things and would change every year. In PA we pay property taxes based on the value of the home. The tax office has an established assessed value, which can be challenged, but it doesn't vary that much. When you buy a car, you pay a flat percentage tax based on the sale price. You could see where there might be some fraud there when one purchases a used car for cash. We do pay an annual fee to register the car, but it's the same for all cars and is nominal. If you register the car as an antique, you pay registration only one time and it does not require an annual inspection.

A lot of guys here register their cars in Montana to avoid paying the State taxes. You have to set up and LLC in that State and title the car in the LLC, but they have no tax. It has to be a really high dollar car to make sense.

Note to self: Never move to Kansas.
The legal point would be if it's a "car". I would think.
Of course, just like in the everlasting title question, ever state is sovereign and makes the rules up for that state as it goes along.
But the guy has it registered?
It's a car.
It appears to me he MIGHT be trying to have his car and eat it too.
my thought is it is going by title's the state knows what you have if it is titled. if some government worker knows that said car's valued is x then they will try to get that money from the hard working fokes .

it is sad that they do this to us.

torredcuda

Reaction score
"Because the shell of a C3 isn't worth 12 grand in any world, Hawley, contacted the Appraiser's Office on Nov. 30 and was informed he had recourse. The office issued him a Payment Under Protest application and instructed him how and when to file, as well as advised him to submit further documentation to correct the county's appraisal. Hawley reportedly acknowledged receiving the application but hadn't filed it as of Dec. 29. The county also said it had not received his 2022 Personal Property rendition form. Hawley reportedly claimed no knowledge of the Payment Under Protest application's Dec. 20 deadline (which is specified in the document), and disagreed with the county's value appraisal but said he would file the paperwork anyway."

So he had recourse to lower the appraisal but was too lazy to do it in time - nobodys fault but his own, quit complaining.

V.R.D

Reaction score
"Because the shell of a C3 isn't worth 12 grand in any world, Hawley, contacted the Appraiser's Office on Nov. 30 and was informed he had recourse. The office issued him a Payment Under Protest application and instructed him how and when to file, as well as advised him to submit further documentation to correct the county's appraisal. Hawley reportedly acknowledged receiving the application but hadn't filed it as of Dec. 29. The county also said it had not received his 2022 Personal Property rendition form. Hawley reportedly claimed no knowledge of the Payment Under Protest application's Dec. 20 deadline (which is specified in the document), and disagreed with the county's value appraisal but said he would file the paperwork anyway."

So he had recourse to lower the appraisal but was too lazy to do it in time - nobodys fault but his own, quit complaining.
thank you for the info update . you are right he has him self to blame . read the document-and follow the instructions. that is how you learn to fix things read and do

Back