• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumping speedo

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I took the car out today and the speedo was jumping and making a clicking sound and as I accelerated the clicking would increase. Is that the little gesr wheel behind that needs to be replaced?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
You may just need to get some kind of light lube in the speedo cable tube. I'm not sure what kind of lube but I'm someone will chime in with what to use. Check the service manual, it may tell you there.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no, you can reach the end of the speedo cable, can be a PIA, but just need to get some light oil in there. My truck does this on the really cold winter days till the cable warms up.

Ranger

Reaction score
You should be able to get at it from under the dash or at the trans.
I'd grease it up with white lithium grease.

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
Fantastic thanks for the help guys I'll check it out tomorrow does it just pull out? I haven't had to deal with any problems from the dash before

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
there is a plastic retainer, like a finger, on top of the end IIRC, depress it, and the cable housing should pull off. It'll be more by feel than site. It may be easier to pull your radio out, and stick your arm in that way.at least you can be sitting semi comfortably, inside of laying on the seat.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
there is a plastic retainer, like a finger, on top of the end IIRC, depress it, and the cable housing should pull off. It'll be more by feel than site. It may be easier to pull your radio out, and stick your arm in that way.at least you can be sitting semi comfortably, inside of laying on the seat.
Don't depress it too hard. It's old and brittle and will break off easily. It will still work if you break the lock clip but just depress it lightly and wiggle it while pulling back lightly and try not to break it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, easy to break. I broke the one on my Charger the first time I took the dash apart, but it was never a problem in the 18 years I had the car, so it's no big if it does break.

Back