• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another update

V269

Reaction score
Well I'm ticking little things off the list one by one. Tore the steering column apart and put the floor shift collar's on so it look's like an original 4-speed car now. Fairly lenghtly process but I have lot's of time. Also put new rear seatbelt clip's on the seat so you can clip the buckles to them to hold in place. Put new gas shock's on up front yesterday. Installed a new guage pack last week. Much more accurate now. Had the car outside last week to refill rad and check for leak's and it idled for about an hour and with the new aluminum rad it does not go over 172 deg. on the temp guage. Going to be much nicer for cruising this summer. Just have one thing left to figure out now and that is the stupid fuel sending unit. Put a new one in last year and it does not read above the empty mark. :brickwall: I don't know why they just can't be a plug and play item. I pluged the original one in yesterday and it does not even read correct. At full position on the sending unit it only read's 3/4 on the dash guage. But at least it read's something. I'm going to have to take the new one out and see what the problem is with it. I ohm tested the old one and it read 74 ohms at empty and 149 ohms at full. Not sure what the new will read. Will find out soon.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ken King said:
Well I'm ticking little things off the list one by one. Tore the steering column apart and put the floor shift collar's on so it look's like an original 4-speed car now. Fairly lenghtly process but I have lot's of time. Also put new rear seatbelt clip's on the seat so you can clip the buckles to them to hold in place. Put new gas shock's on up front yesterday. Installed a new guage pack last week. Much more accurate now. Had the car outside last week to refill rad and check for leak's and it idled for about an hour and with the new aluminum rad it does not go over 172 deg. on the temp guage. Going to be much nicer for cruising this summer. Just have one thing left to figure out now and that is the stupid fuel sending unit. Put a new one in last year and it does not read above the empty mark. :brickwall: I don't know why they just can't be a plug and play item. I pluged the original one in yesterday and it does not even read correct. At full position on the sending unit it only read's 3/4 on the dash guage. But at least it read's something. I'm going to have to take the new one out and see what the problem is with it. I ohm tested the old one and it read 74 ohms at empty and 149 ohms at full. Not sure what the new will read. Will find out soon.
Won't be long and you will have that bad boy out Ken :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
with all the bad luck I've had over the years, somehow I've managed to not have the dreaded nonworking gas gauge. maybe I woulda been better off with that. Sounds like you're getting a lot done! :thumbsup:

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ken King said:
Won't be long and you will have that bad boy out Ken :thumbsup:

Yes I will soon have it out Bob. The weather up here is getting nicer all the time. Supposed to be in the 60's this weekend. Yea baby !!! Took the sending unit out tonight and compaired it with the old one. Tweaked it a little but with it powered up at full tank position on the unit the guage on the dash only read's 3/4 full. When the dash guage read's 1/8 I have 1/2 tank on the unit and 1/4 on the dash read's 5/8 on the unit. The problem is you can't change the way the sending unit want's to read and it's a new unit. The old one seem's to be the same. :huh: I guess if I keep the dash guage reading 1/4 I know I have lot's of fuel. Go figure. :crazy:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i went nuts with mine too.....after 2 senders and a few gauges i went to a chevy set-up and it works perfect......in my fuel cell.....nothing worse then not knowing how much gas you have.....have fun ken

V269

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
i went nuts with mine too.....after 2 senders and a few gauges i went to a chevy set-up and it works perfect......in my fuel cell.....nothing worse then not knowing how much gas you have.....have fun ken

A Chevy set-up !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: George, your story has little comfort for me you know. Gee thank's. :lol: :lol: I think I'll just stick it back in there and deal with it the way it is. Long as I keep fuel in it I'll be ok. Not going to screw around with it anymore. :yesnod:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I need you to send me some of your motivation..........I've gotta get mine rolling and change back to the stock shifter. Then just go cruising........... :banana:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I need you to send me some of your motivation..........I've gotta get mine rolling and change back to the stock shifter. Then just go cruising........... :banana:
What's up with the shifter Gary? I thought you were excited with that new setup you were putting in the car.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I love the way the works.........Once I launch I never have to lift the throttle...........the only problem is it seems when I'm driving it, I drive it like that all the time because I know that.......I'm gonna put the original back in so I get more miles out the engine and less tickets......... :lol: Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 7000 rpm without lifting and feeling the rear tires breaking lose is an awesome feeling.............I plan on driving it to the nats so I need it to last a while........ :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I love the way the works.........Once I launch I never have to lift the throttle...........the only problem is it seems when I'm driving it, I drive it like that all the time because I know that.......I'm gonna put the original back in so I get more miles out the engine and less tickets......... :lol: Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 7000 rpm without lifting and feeling the rear tires breaking lose is an awesome feeling.............I plan on driving it to the nats so I need it to last a while........ :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
OK Gary you were gone for awhile and your post count was a bit off, Ill let you off with this :wedgie:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ken King said:
Good morning Bob. How's the weather in Az. today ?
Looks like the low 80s again, I have to mow the lawn again :lol:

i'd rather mow the lawn than shovel more snow. high 70s all week :party:

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ken King said:

Sweet. It is real nice here today as well. About 60 deg right now. Put the fuel sending back in this morning for the last time. She's ready to rock !! WHOO HOO!! Bob, I'm going to pm you. :thumbsup:

glhcarl

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ken King said:

76 degrees today in Georgia, wife made me mow the lawn today too. You know when you cut the yellow, blue and white tops off the weeds, their green underneath, lawns looks good now!

Back