• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a 69.. new to the game

artiststan

Reaction score
I owned Mopars back in the day but never a muscle car. Just bought all numbers matching 69 RR 383 stick with power steering. It just had first rebuild of the motor; sp motor has 50 miles on it. It is a survivor car that was painted once, factory green and not inside doors to maintain factory markings. See only surface rust under the hood but the rest is solid and interior is perfect (replaced to factory). Paint is about a 7 on a scale od 1 to 10. I want to ride it as much as possible. Paid about 27k. Realize number matching is not that important to some folks, but overall do I have a solid investment here? Also, what product is out there that will keep areas like under the hood from rusting anymore while keeping it as original as it is today?

Ranger

Reaction score
Congrats. Sounds almost the same as the car I just bought.

The only place mine had any rust at all was the usual under the trunk floor mat. I scraped, wire brushed and painted it with Chassis Saver, then spray it body color. Chassis Saver or POR15 will stop rust in it's tracks. Expensive (Chassis Saver is about $10/qt cheaper), but worth the price.

Being an "FNG", I am not as well versed as the rest of these guys, but I've done some looking before I bought mine and I'd say you did OK and "have a solid investment".

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I would recommend restoring the underside of the hood. Take the hood off and just do the underneath. I don't believe it will hurt the survivor status or the value of it. If you are concerned, I would leave it alone if it's not too bad?

artiststan

Reaction score
Thanks JD.. will be having Road Ready inpect it too since I am so far from the car. I can't wait to get it.

Ranger

Reaction score
Too bad it's so far away. Nothing like driving a "new" car home and getting to know it. Mine was only 350 miles away and the weather was clear. It was a VERY enjoyable trip.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
it sounds dumb BUT leave the rust---just put rust converter on it with a brush and touch it up---with paint! and drive it!002.jpg just got a headliner in my aar and had to take a ride and blow the dust out!my car is the same deal as yours new paint and inside the doors trunk and hood are factory

002.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's a beauty! plus it's greeeeennnnn....:drool::drool::drool:

Back