• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LH Frame Rail in Place

quikbird

Reaction score
caption for photo: well darn, that's what I get trying to pull that stump out with the roadrunner!!! :rimshot:

69runner

Reaction score
Hi, I am going to have to do the exact same operation to my '69 Road Runner. My left front frame rail is toast. Is there any advice, recommendations or warnings you can share for when I tackle it this summer? I am going to order a new one from AMD (along with about $4500.00 worth of other body parts) in May. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, 69runner.

quikbird

Reaction score
measure, measure, measure!!!. since this determines where the fenders hang etc make sure its square and set before start welding it back in. Look carefully under the corners etc for potential problems. On mine I found several issues under that cowl to fender piece and needed to make some patch panels in the cowl.

SgtLee511

Reaction score
The rail was much easier than it looked, I dont have a rottissorie, so I'm old schooling my project, I blocked the car 2 cinder blocks high, in a 4 square pattern, making room for the removal of the frame rail. I took basic measurements on both frame rails from the floor to bottom of frame rail at Radiator support on the front and measurements on both sides at the rear, measuring the distance between the rails at the front and back. I used probably 10 of those spot weld cutters from Harbor Freight removing the spot welds from the inner fender to the frame rail and shock support. I cut out almost all the spot welds leaving a couple at the radiator support temporarily. I put a trans jack under the frame rail for support. I have my front floor removed to be replaced so I had easy access to the rear under the drivers seat. as long as you get all those spot welds its an easy project. I made sure my measurements were the same, and I had a helper, your going to need someone to make sure its right when you tack it back up. Much easier than expected. AMD makes a very good product it was almost exactly the same dimensions as my original.

69runner

Reaction score
SgtLee511, thanks so much for your reply. The information will help a great deal. I am very happy to hear that it may not be as bad as it looks, because it looks UGLY!! I have a rotisserie, but my car is a long way from being strong enough to go on it. Not only will I be doing the front rail (I hope it is just the left one) but the rear rails need attention too. They shouldn't be that bad if I can master the front. I was thinking that maybe the stripped K-member could be used to help orient the rail into its proper place. The four bolts that fasten it to the rails are shouldered to fit the K-member and could aid in the alignment process (maybe???). I will be starting on it when spring arrives and your description gives me hope that I should be able to do it. Thanks again to you and quickbird for your responses.:yesnod:

Back