• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lift Off Hood Question

Rocket

Reaction score
Just say I guy had an A12 clone in the works and didn't have the $900+ to spend on a hood at Yearone :nopity:, which other company would you feel comfortable buying one from?

I have tried a few options except the stock cleaner and they just won't fit under the hood.

I need a Dana and my interior finished and need to be more frugal than I have.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I bought one for mine from Pentastar Reproductions. I'm very pleased with it.$500

aaaa.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Got one just like Dave's from Pentastar Reproductions, I use the normal factory hinges but remove factory springs and added T/A springs.

100_0519.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
diito, I got the bolt on, and their light weight springs.

Rocket

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Did the Penstar guys have to do any modifications or fitment? Did it come in flat black or did you have to paint it?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
just like you see it. as far as any mods, i don't know. I picked it up and we bolted it on with no problems. It will need a finish coat when he car gets painted.

Rocket

Reaction score
I was going to do the lift off version but you guys have me thinking about a bolt on. What made you guys go that way?

It has to be a ton easier to work on the car without having to take the hood off, find a safe place for it to go and all that. And on a windy day...forgetaboutit right?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well I heard too many stories about guys forgetting the hood pins till they hit second and the hood flew off......and my car in a non vinyl top, and laying the hood on the ground,stepping/falling on it didn't sound good. The bolt on was a bit cheaper too IIRC.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have a single car garage and it make it a lot easier to work on the engine with it hinged. Just like Dave mention trying to find a place to lay the hood if it is a lift off. Mine came in a neutral finish, as you see it is white know.

Rocket

Reaction score
Ok since mine isn't a real A12 the bolt on really makes sense. I'll do pins up front and a latch.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not me,and I did the latch,safety catch, and front pins. no chance taker here.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I have the same as basket case. Penstar repop. Cost $500 +$200 shipping then cost me $800 to get fixed and painted. Then I scratched it putting the rivets in 2 pins up front. it's on hinges plus latch. Overall happy with it. But total $1600... :( and now its scratched pisser

Last edited:

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
IMHFO, just that, an opinion... for a clone/tribute the bolt ons/hinged types probably won't be very accurate as far as under-hood structure & authentic looks...

I've never seen or dealt with the Penstar's can't really say how good they may be....

AAR Fiberglass

VFN Fiberglass

US Body Source

Harrys Glass, they may have carbon Fiber too

Sled City, but has some bad stuff about delivery times & alleged health issues, small crew size, supposedly/allegedly causing the lengthy delays...

Fiberglass Trends, if they are even still in business...

IIRC they all have the fiberglass bolt on hoods, not sure which are the most authentic looking or closest to being correct,
like the real style "Lift Off" A12 {4 Pinned 6bbl} Year One Hood is the best I've seen, for looking much like the real deal...

The accurate 69.5 base for the air cleaner to seal to the hood so you get actual ram "cold air" induction, maybe an issue too, with the ones with-out the inner structure under the hood, like the originals or Year One A12 reproduction hoods, the OEM style factory ones, are really pricey, more than you'll pay for a hood...

But there is a company http://www.hybrid-fiberglass-solutions.com/products/standardbaseplates.html that make an "affordable" fiberglass reproductions of the "original" steel ones on the 69.5 A12, but in fiberglass

Anyway good luck with your A12 Clone/tribute project...

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood Pins.jpg

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood.jpg

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood Under side seal.jpg

68 RR A12 6bbl Lift Off Hood Underside seal Left side rear.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I forget the terminology, but when I got my hood, I didn't get the style to fit the air cleaner, so I can't say as to Pentastar's under hood look. but the top sure do look nice , to me anywho.

Back