• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lift off hood

mac

What ?
Reaction score
you guys that have a lift off hood or flat black finish on your cars, have you ever used pledge furniture polish on it? i have heard of this being done but before i try it on mine i would like to know if this really works.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this on the LOH site, Mac...

You do realize that they were piling on that guy and not at all being serious or supportive, don'tcha?

I think that was a resounding "NO" to the Pledge on the hood...

:jester:

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I have a frield who had a show 4x4 truck and he used Pledge on almost everything. With the shine that left, I'd stay far away from it....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
while it doesn't have a lift off hood( and neither does the car), I've used pledge on my Lionel steam engines. a guy a show told me about this. It makes the 60+ year old flat paint look really ice. you don't use a lot, or it will make the surface slippery. gives a nice satin look.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I use a foaming tire/vinyl protectant on my hood stripes. It should work on the fiberglass hood as well. I use a moistened sponge and apply foam to the sponge and then work it onto the hood. Looks great.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
OK... I'll admit it. I've used Pledge on my hood.

It doesn't make it shiney.. It just gives it a richer, blacker look. They get kinda gray looking (note use of correct gray spelling) after a while.

A short story though... I was at a larrge car show years ago. I had the hood open on the 383 car I had and was working on cleaning up the wheels a little. A pretty girl came over and started pushing some sort of polish she was selling. I said, no thanks and went back to my wheels. She continued on... I said "no thanks" again. She kept it up... she was getting on my nerves....then she took a rag and dumped some on the black on the top of my grille and said "doesn't that look better? It would make that hood look great"

I exploded. ... She wasn't expecting me to get up and be a lot bigger then her boyfriend that just happened to walk up... He asked what just happened and I told him to get her away from my car. She said to him "I just put some stuff on his grille" and he said "What?? You don't do stuff like that" He apologised (good of him to do so, I'll admit) and walked away pretty pissed at her.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
OK... I'll admit it. I've used Pledge on my hood.

It doesn't make it shiney.. It just gives it a richer, blacker look. They get kinda gray looking (note use of correct gray spelling) after a while.

A short story though... I was at a larrge car show years ago. I had the hood open on the 383 car I had and was working on cleaning up the wheels a little. A pretty girl came over and started pushing some sort of polish she was selling. I said, no thanks and went back to my wheels. She continued on... I said "no thanks" again. She kept it up... she was getting on my nerves....then she took a rag and dumped some on the black on the top of my grille and said "doesn't that look better? It would make that hood look great"

I exploded. ... She wasn't expecting me to get up and be a lot bigger then her boyfriend that just happened to walk up... He asked what just happened and I told him to get her away from my car. She said to him "I just put some stuff on his grille" and he said "What?? You don't do stuff like that" He apologised (good of him to do so, I'll admit) and walked away pretty pissed at her.
Just reading this ticked me off :chuck:

moparchris

Reaction score
I never thought to put pledge on my hood. I did have a black jet boat that the lacquer was dulling and I put Armor All on it. It worked like a charm but it was shiney. Even after I cleaned it multiple times it was shiney, so I just waxed right over it and it stayed pretty nice for a few years.

Big John

Reaction score
Plus my hood always smelled lemony fresh.

mannye

Reaction score
I have also heard the Pledge thing for the hod stripes. Never have had the guts to try it, not knowing if the posters were screwing around or not.

Big John

Reaction score
mannye said:
I have also heard the Pledge thing for the hod stripes. Never have had the guts to try it, not knowing if the posters were screwing around or not.

Seriously, I've done it myself and seen it done. As I said, it does make the black a little darker and richer looking.

You can try it and the worst that will happen is you have to wash it off with some liquid dish washiing detergent.

sam z

Reaction score
John, going back to the pretty girl story, I got one that's just as outrageous...

I worked at a parts store around 10 or 15 years ago in college, and I owned a decent
looking 1967 coronet 440 at the time. A guy with a turquoise 69 charger pulled in and
because the store was slow I was BS'ing in the parking lot with him. Anyway, this guy
comes over out of nowhere, announces that he used to own a charger a long time ago,
opened the drivers door, sat down behind the wheel, and started pawing everything.

I thought the owner was going to do something that would cause him to go to jail. He
went nuts.

mannye

Reaction score
sam z said:
John, going back to the pretty girl story, I got one that's just as outrageous...

I worked at a parts store around 10 or 15 years ago in college, and I owned a decent
looking 1967 coronet 440 at the time. A guy with a turquoise 69 charger pulled in and
because the store was slow I was BS'ing in the parking lot with him. Anyway, this guy
comes over out of nowhere, announces that he used to own a charger a long time ago,
opened the drivers door, sat down behind the wheel, and started pawing everything.

I thought the owner was going to do something that would cause him to go to jail. He
went nuts.

Wow! I would be in jail if someone did that.

Back